Developments at 2 NC schools

A space reserved for stories from our competition
citycat

Developments at 2 NC schools

Post by citycat » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:37 pm

1) UNCC hosted Florida Atlantic in football tonight. The '9ers were down 38-16 with 2-3 minutes to play.

UNCC will host the Bahamas Bowl at the end of the season. The stadium in the Bahamas that usually hosts the game is undergoing renovations and won't be ready for the game. The game will be Monday December 18th at 2:30 PM. The teams will be selected from the MAC and Conference USA.

2) UNCG is undergoing an intense self-examination similar to the threatened evisceration of Guilford College a few years ago. UNCG's enrollment declined during the pandemic and the administration is concerned this may be the start of a long term trend. Consultants have been at work and one pointed out UNCG's large athletic expenditures and contrasted them with their meager ticket revenue. It has been suggested the school should reduce or eliminate majors and departments with few students or whose degrees do not lead to lucrative employment.

The faculty has commission a study that points out the school's enrollment increased this Fall and the school has large reserves and a fairly large endowment for a state school.

I appreciate UNCG's meager athletic ticket revenue. Every sport but basketball and soccer is free, I believe. Nonconference baseball is free.

dorp

Re: Developments at 2 NC schools

Post by dorp » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:09 am

citycat wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:37 pm
I appreciate UNCG's meager athletic ticket revenue. Every sport but basketball and soccer is free, I believe. Nonconference baseball is free.
I attended four UNCG soccer games this fall- three women's and one men's. I didn't pay for any of them.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:01 am

For many years I bought one MBB season ticket and one Universal ticket, which gave me admission to MBB, WBB, football, and men's soccer, plus a parking pass. Now I pay twice as much for 2 MBB tickets, plus $60 for a basketball parking pass, and $10 per game for soccer (I usually attend 5-6 matches each year). I don't go to football games, and I watch WBB on ESPN+. The universal ticket was a good deal, but I guess Davidson decided what UNCG has yet to figure out: good deals may put more butts in the seats, but they don't balance the books. I would not be surprised to see DU baseball tickets in the near future. That would pay for the lights and the foul balls.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

dorp

Post by dorp » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:08 pm

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:20 pm

Free Socks U.

dorp

Post by dorp » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:41 pm

https://mathstats.uncg.edu/apr/reactions/

It's funny to get faculty support, including from other schools. Yes, we support you in continuing this process which keeps us all getting paid.

I asked a UNCG faculty member what 24 math PhDs do after graduation.
The response was "I don't know".

(some people would say academia and/or research, which I believe compounds the problem)

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:21 pm

G needs to follow the example of their cousins at Concrete and start an FBS football program. The money will come pouring in.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:09 pm

dorp wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:41 pm
https://mathstats.uncg.edu/apr/reactions/

It's funny to get faculty support, including from other schools. Yes, we support you in continuing this process which keeps us all getting paid.

I asked a UNCG faculty member what 24 math PhDs do after graduation.
The response was "I don't know".

(some people would say academia and/or research, which I believe compounds the problem)
I have a friend who graduated from Guilford with a degree in Poli Sci or Economics. His undergrad major didn't matter because he was going to work for his dad's company.

After 7-8 years, his father's business partner offered to buy him out. The father accepted the offer and offered to send my friend to graduate school.

The dad insisted my friend take aptitude tests to see what he liked and what he was good at. The tests showed he was talented in statistical analysis. He went to UNCG and received a Masters in Statistics. He got a job with a consulting firm in DC.

I need to let my friend know about the controversy at UNCG.

Eventually, he ended up working for Census Department and has been there for almost 30 years. He likes it, excepts for the Government shutdowns. He always ends up being made whole, but complains during the shutdowns because his wife works for the Smithsonian.

He used to be a huge sports fan, but his wife discouraged that. He was talking 1960s baseball with a coworker. The coworker said, "You need to talk to Bob. He's the baseball expert." Bob is one of the guys who developed WAR, a baseball analytical tool. Bob was impressed by friend's baseball knowledge, especially his appreciation of Dick Dietz's 1973 Strat-O-Matic card.

My friend was a big John Gerdy fan, but insists he never saw Steph play at Davidson because his wife wouldn't let them get sports stations on cable. I pointed out Davidson's games in the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight in 2008 were on CBS. He claimed to be unaware of that.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:20 pm

I have a nephew w a masters in biostatistics. He works for the VA making sense of years of medical studies. His wife has a PhD and is on the faculty at Duke making sense out of all sorts of research. She started during Covid and spends very little time on campus. They are math nerds of the finest kind.

dorp

Post by dorp » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:12 pm

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:15 pm

I would assume that other schools in the UNC system will cover almost everything that is discontinued.

Our experience as a civilization suggests that we are rather poor judges of what knowledge is "practical."

Many of the more abstract, abstruse, and "useless" things from number theory and theoretical physics lie behind things we use every day, somewhat unwittingly.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ