Steph update

A new forum for discussion about Davidson's professional athletes.
i77cat

Re: Steph update

Post by i77cat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:33 pm

Kuminga was the leading scorer with 25.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:32 am

i77cat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:33 pm
Kuminga was the leading scorer with 25.
He's going to be a star player and potential superstar. The Warriors steal the best pick in the draft again. Kerr and Draymond will let him hear about only getting 3 rebounds in 26 minutes last night. That type coaching is why he will be so good in time. He's a smart player. He is still learning how to play and he's learning from the best.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:11 am

+1 Right now, Kuminga's athleticism trumps everything. Neither Kerr nor his teammates will let him settle for that alone. You are right. If he will learn, he may become great.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:35 am

MrMac wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:11 am
+1 Right now, Kuminga's athleticism trumps everything. Neither Kerr nor his teammates will let him settle for that alone. You are right. If he will learn, he may become great.
https://clutchpoints.com/warriors-news- ... n-kuminga/

https://twitter.com/i/status/1482196844184682497

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJHEblqWYAE ... me=900x900
Kuminga on his teammates: “They want to see me happy. They want to see my growth. They want to see me make it, so everybody is a big influence.”
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:03 pm

Kerr announced that Kuminga will be the starting power forward during Draymond's absence.

After Kerr's encouragement regarding rebounding Kuminga gathered 10 last night.

Klay is very high on Kuminga. He sees potential for the rookie to be one of the best players in the NBA someday and says the Warriors will be "his team" in the future. https://heavy.com/sports/golden-state-w ... inga-team/

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:36 am

Kuminga is good, but he's no Draymond. Warriors lose at home, in OT, to a weak Indiana team that was further disadvantaged by the absence of four of their five best scoring options.

Didn't matter. Dubs fall in OT on a bad shooting night for the team and for Steph. His 39 points came on 12 of 27 shooting, with several layups missed that he normally converts.

Draymond's absence, coupled with the team's recent free-fall, is making a strong case for Green to be the team (League?) MVP. He makes the Warriors better. Much better.

May be time to rest Curry for a few games until Dray is healthy. Let him reset his shooting mechanics and thinking patterns, then reunite him with Green when he returns. W's have plenty of firepower, experience and youth. There is something amiss in either individual players' psychologies, or Team chemistry

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 am

6 for 16 from 3; 6 for 11 from 2. For mortals that’s pretty good. For Steph it seems like an off night. (And 9 for 9 from the line).

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:35 am

Kuminga is good, but he's no Draymond.
Draymond was not Draymond when he was 19. Kuminga is about potential by playoff time. The Warriors are playing poorly now because:
1. Steph is not playing well. He's already played himself out of MVP consideration. He can't make up for teammates who have an off night. He is the team leader and deserves more of the blame when the team falters and a higher share of credit when the team does well.
2. Klay is a long, long way from his prior level. Maybe he's trying too hard. He's shooting 80% of the time he touches the ball and his teammates are watching. Team chemistry has been wrecked by his re-entry into the starting line-up and Kerr and his coaching staff watch quietly. Steph watches quietly. I guess they expect Klay to be suddenly regain his legendary status. That may take many months and he may never return to that level.
3. The role players who played so well a month ago are in steep decline now. They rely on team chemistry and are not to blame for absence of that chemistry which was extraordinary a few weeks ago and made up for Steph's slump most nights.
4. Draymond's recent health.

Rudy2011

Post by Rudy2011 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 am

Steph with the walkoff to lift GS over the Rockets.

https://www.espn.com/nba/video?gameId=401360513
Carthago delenda est

I say we drink the wine, eat the dogs, and use the papers for musket wadding.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:18 am

The real Stephen Curry played last night. Hopefully the recent imposter wearing #30 for the GSW is gone.

Chemistry is finally returning with Klay on the court. Klay made some good passes to teammates last night. The role players feed off the Splash Brothers. When they get a good pass from Klay or Steph they deliver more often. Klay looks around 70% of his prior level of play. The defensive skills are coming back slower than the offense.

Need Draymond back for the title run. Regaining home court advantage from the Suns will be key.

Wiggins is an All Star starter along with Steph. That should be a big boost for his confidence.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:32 am

Wiggins an AS starter. Didn't see that coming. 😊

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:21 am

MrMac wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:32 am
He got there on fan votes and enough media and player support to beat out Draymond. His offensive stats are good (18 ppg at 48% FGs and 41% 3 pt) and he's widely regarded as an elite defender.

With Wiggins, Draymond, an improving Thompson, Payton, and Iguodala the Warriors have a core of elite defenders and they can improve on what is already the #1 defensive team in the NBA when all are healthy. Also, Steph is playing the best defense of his career. Recently on NBA TV Steve Smith and Isiah Thomas both assessed Steph as "an above average NBA defender" this year. Both were impressed with his defensive intensity considering the amount of energy he spends on offense. Also, Looney is a good defender although undersized in the post.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:10 pm

Being undersized helps Looney in one regard. The Dubs switch a ton on D. Looney does a better job of keeping up with wing players than the vast majority of NBA bigs.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:36 am

MrMac wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:32 am
Maybe, this explains the Wiggins surprise?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/huge ... r-starter/

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:29 am

I'll ask my niece if she voted for him. She knows nothing about basketball, but everything about K-pop.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge