Steph update

A new forum for discussion about Davidson's professional athletes.
MrMac

Re: Steph update

Post by MrMac » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:41 am

Thompson, Kuminga, and Wiggins all played well (Steph, too) but, man, where did the defense go? The Warriors are surrendering 128 points a game over the past seven games.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:11 am

The Bulls played worse defense than the Warriors last night. That's hard to do.

Warriors' 5 turnovers were fewest in franchise history. Not something they can count on to win games going forward.

Nice to get a win but no problems were solved.

Jackson-Davis and Kuminga were very, very good. Both should be regular starters ... Kerr needs to stop his insane jerking them out of games and leaving them out of the starting lineup when they're playing so well. Let them and Moody get at least 25 to 30 minutes per game so they will be ready if the Warriors can improve enough to make the playoffs. Jackson-Davis is now clearly the best center on the team.

Looney seems to have slowed a step this season. Don't know if he's playing with an injury ... hip pain maybe?
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:55 pm

They were playing in Chicago where the Bulls were creating a Hall of Honor or whatever. The only team being honored was the '95-'96 Bulls, so it worked out well Steve Kerr was there.

Flights were cancelled due to weather, so some of the honorees weren't there and Michael Jordan did not attend, for whatever reason he avoids events like that.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:45 pm

Warriors are playing Memphis today. Without injured Morant and Bane the Grizzlies are not very good. The return of Draymond will help them. He apparently could not do anything to keep in shape during his suspension which he turned into a vacation. I expect Kerr to take minutes away from Kuminga and Jackson-Davis and give them to Draymond. Kerr played Kuminga 30 minutes against the Bucks and he scored 28 points. He should be playing 30+ minutes every game. If Kerr uses Draymond's return as a reason to limit Kuminga's time on the court the team will suffer ... and Kuminga will get frustrated. He has earned a starting role. Draymond has not. Wiggins has not.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:11 pm

Jacob Gilyard (ticks) and G G Jackson (gamechicks) had good games for Memphis v GS. They are on 2 way contracts and are up w the varsity while others are injured. Vince Williams from VCU led the Griz in scoring.

Last season Jackson only scored 12 against us. I thought Des did a great job making him work for everything he got.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:52 am

Griz with 24 points inside the arc, 60 points outside the arc on 20-54 shooting, and 32 points on 32-40 from the line. That must have been an awful game to watch.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:52 am

18-22 now. Little chance of getting back to .500 this season.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:23 am

i77cat wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:52 am
18-22 now. Little chance of getting back to .500 this season.
42 games to play. If Steph is in the lineup there's always a good chance to win.

There are good players on the trade market who could help Steph. The Warriors have good talent on the roster being poorly coached at the present time. Kerr thinks he's coaching some veterans who are as good today as they were 2-4 years ago and seems to think Klay, Wiggins, and Draymond are up to helping Steph challenge for a championship. They clearly are not. And their consumption of playing time slows development of very good young guys on the roster.

I hope the Dubs are working on a trade for players like Siakam or Capela or Dejounte Murray or Markkanen. Unfortuately Wiggins trade value is plummeting and most teams want Kuminga or Moody along with any of the Warriors veterans.

Steph is key to restructuring the team through trades. If he were to go to the owners and tell them he would support trading Klay and Draymond it would happen immediately. If he chooses to remain loyal to his friends and to publicly fight their trades he will be choosing to give up hope for another championship. That all puts him in a difficult situation.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:37 pm

There's a chance to get back to .500, but it is slim and fading fast. Kerr is no better now than he was coaching the US National team.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:36 pm

I receive emails containing the headlines of Mercury News stories in the vain hope I'll subscribe. One I received this afternoon says everyone but Steph is on the trading block.

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:00 pm

I received one just now telling me the Warriors' game tonight has been postponed because Warriors assistant coach Dejan Melovic (sp?) had a medical emergency last night in a restaurant where he was eating with some of the players.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:27 pm

That assistant died.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:29 pm

Heart attack. 46 year old.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:42 pm

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:53 pm

41 players for 12 slots, but I like Steph's chances.