Steph update

A new forum for discussion about Davidson's professional athletes.
i77cat

Re: Steph update

Post by i77cat » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:48 pm

You mean this season? Sad to watch the death of a dynasty. Or at least a mini-dynasty. They had a great run.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:45 am

The Warriors beat the Pistons 113-109. The win would have been the Pistons' 4th of the season.

CP3 broke his left hand and will have surgery.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:02 am

So sorry for CP3. Kudos to thise of you who had J6 and the under, on a season-ending injury to the oft-injured Paul. Next man up?

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:22 am

This season is quickly turning excremental.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:27 am

That adds to my list of word pairs that seem to be opposites, but aren’t:

Incremental, excremental

Scatological, eschatological

Et. al.

A special category is for synonyms:

Flammable, inflammable

Ravel, unravel
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:58 am

Steph in postgame interview last night referred to Kerr not playing Kuminga during the Warriors' 4th qtr meltdown against Denver and reports of Kuminga's anger over Kerr's decision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfitPLdxLfY
...probably should have played, not probably ...
The Warriors are Steph's (and the owners) team, not Kerr's team. And now Steph has publicly questioned Kerr's coaching. I'd bet the owners are doing the same privately.

Without Steph, Kerr's NBA record is 62-102! https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/steve- ... teph-curry. So he has been smart enough to let Steph play the game developed for the Warriors/Splash Brothers by Mark Jackson. The Warriors were on the road to a championship before Kerr arrived. Maybe if another coach had developed a game for the USA team centered around Anthony Edwards, Kerr could have led that USA team to a FIBA championship last summer. That loss was a very poor coaching job by Kerr who had the more talented team.

Now Kerr has failed to allow development of Moody and Kuminga. Moody has star potential and Kuminga will be an All Star someday. And it could come soon with the Warriors if Kerr wakes up. Kuminga is now the 2nd best player on the roster. Wiggins is lost and Klay is in decline but still has trade value. Draymond ... there's less than a 50% chance his return will make the team better. All need a strong coach to get them on track and to adjust to the realities of their games. Draymond and maybe others need to go.

The owners and Kerr have all failed in management and control of Draymond.

Time for Kerr to go. Steph will disagree as he did when Mark Jackson was fired. But if Steph's team is going to win another championship the team needs to be restructured and Kerr stands in the way.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:23 pm

Warriors were favored today. A chance to claw back to .500 for the season. Got whipped. Steph's +/- was -17. At least he made a bunch of threes. Nope. 0-9. Still filling the arena with fans.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585132
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:14 am

Moody finally got on the court for 22 minutes ... 21 points on 7-9 FGs and 4-6 on 3s. Kerr deserves severe criticism for his failure to allow Moody to develop. A firing offense IMO. And Moody is one of the best defenders on a team that desperately needs defenders on the floor.

Finally gave Jackson-Davis 27 minutes ... praise the Lord! 16 pts, 11 rebs, and 3 blks. Shot 8-9 FGs.

These young guys plus Kuminga are the only hopes for Steph to get another championship. The old core has run its course. With a better coach Moody and Kuminga would have been ready this year and Jackson-Davis would be ready to help by next year's playoffs. Looney is still young at 27 and an excellent rotation player. Still need another rebounding /defensive big (trade old core Green and Thompson and/or Wiggins for one).
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:48 pm

Cat Forever wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:58 am
Steph in postgame interview last night referred to Kerr not playing Kuminga during the Warriors' 4th qtr meltdown against Denver and reports of Kuminga's anger over Kerr's decision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfitPLdxLfY
...probably should have played, not probably ...
The Warriors are Steph's (and the owners) team, not Kerr's team. And now Steph has publicly questioned Kerr's coaching. I'd bet the owners are doing the same privately.

Without Steph, Kerr's NBA record is 62-102! https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/steve- ... teph-curry. So he has been smart enough to let Steph play the game developed for the Warriors/Splash Brothers by Mark Jackson. The Warriors were on the road to a championship before Kerr arrived. Maybe if another coach had developed a game for the USA team centered around Anthony Edwards, Kerr could have led that USA team to a FIBA championship last summer. That loss was a very poor coaching job by Kerr who had the more talented team.

Now Kerr has failed to allow development of Moody and Kuminga. Moody has star potential and Kuminga will be an All Star someday. And it could come soon with the Warriors if Kerr wakes up. Kuminga is now the 2nd best player on the roster. Wiggins is lost and Klay is in decline but still has trade value. Draymond ... there's less than a 50% chance his return will make the team better. All need a strong coach to get them on track and to adjust to the realities of their games. Draymond and maybe others need to go.

The owners and Kerr have all failed in management and control of Draymond.

Time for Kerr to go. Steph will disagree as he did when Mark Jackson was fired. But if Steph's team is going to win another championship the team needs to be restructured and Kerr stands in the way.
You have got to hire someone better and not an old retread. What's the list? That's the hard part.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:54 pm

1st choice: Brent Barry. Basketball operations guy for the Spurs now. Former Spurs G League GM. 14 year NBA vet. PG, SG, Point forward. Cerebral player with good genes (minus the personality flaws of his dad). Could attract top assistants with his years in the league. He was once a ballboy for the Warriors.
2nd choice : Mike Brown. Learned his lessons in Cleveland, did a great job for the Warriors, and has done well for the Kings. The Warriors defense has been in shambles since he left. He loves Steph and Steph loves him.
3rd choice: Quin Snyder. Big bucks to buy out his contract with the Hawks. Would not let Donavan Mitchell go when he was at Utah ... knows talent in the modern NBA game. The Hawks will have trouble competing for a championship because their #1 player is flawed. Snyder has figured that out by now.

citycat

Post by citycat » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:11 am

The Warriors lost to the Pelicans 141-105 in SF. That's the worst loss during Steve Kerr's tenure.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:47 am

Dark days for Wildcat fans everywhere.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:53 am

Kerr is lost and delusional. Removes Moody (was playing very well) with 6:15 to go 3rd quarter and Warriors down by 11 ... down 22 end of 3rd quarter = ballgame. Post game he says "We need Draymond". I rest my case.

If they don't want to fire Kerr they can promote him to the front office ...

Asked about being booed by fans Klay says "I don't care. Supposed to lose sleep?" He still has trade value although it's dropping. Asked the same question Steph says " I was booing myself (referring to booing his own performance) ... we have to give the fans something to cheer about ...".

I hate to see the Warriors wasting the last years of Steph's career. It doesn't have to be this way.

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:36 am

The warriors need to commit to a full revamping of the roster. They can either build around steph, who is still one of the best players in the league and will be for a few more years, or they can try and work out a trade where Steph joins a contending team for a king's ransom and the warriors start over from scratch, but i think everyone agrees that the current roster just doesnt have it any more. Even if they get and stay healthy and draymond miraculously learns how to keep his temper, I just havent seen anything that makes me think they can make another run to the finals. Maybe moving on from Kerr would help, voices can get stale and hes struggled to work in or trust the younger players, but even that doesnt seem like itd be enough right now.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:57 pm

A win tonight!