Steph update

A new forum for discussion about Davidson's professional athletes.
Dr. Bliss

Re: Steph update

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:43 am

Golf and Olympics in Steph's immediate future.

Klay with a big zero tonight.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:07 am

That was an embarrassing exit. Dubs were dominated in every statistical category: FG%, 3-pt%, FT%, total rebounds, offensive rebounds, assists, turnovers, and steals.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 am

In the few minutes I watched between innings of the Braves/Astros, the Warriors had excellent chances to watch to watch a superior team dismantle them. They had no answer for Sabonis. It wasn't even apparent that they understood the question. They looked like a team that desperately needs a coach who understands and values tall players.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:14 am

Kerr loved the adulation he received for "small ball" strategy, "death lineup", etc in 2015-16. That stategy relied on Draymond in his prime, the presence of all star caliber defender in Iguodala, Klay as a top wing defender with superstar shooting ability, and players like Harrison Barnes and Shaun Livingston who were very good players and capable of defending larger players.

Draymond is past his prime, Iggy has retired, and Klay cannot get to 3 pt shooters since his injuries. Kerr seems to think his current roster has the same abilities that his championship teams had. Klay can play 32 minutes and never really contest a 3 point shot. Draymond can play 35 minutes and be dominated by Sabonis. Jackson-Davis makes one or two mistakes in the first 5 minutes and gets yanked and doesn't return until the 4th quarter totaling only 11 minutes ... and he is by far the best inside defender on the team.

I don't expect Kerr will change. If the Warriors resign Klay Steph may be happy initially, but he will be the star player on a mediocre team for the remainder of his career. Young players on the roster could be outstanding if Kerr knew how to use them and coach them. Looney is the only player drafted in Kerr's tenure who developed into a good player ... in 10 years.
Last edited by Cat Forever on Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:26 am

At least he's not in charge of picking the roster for the Olympics.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 am

i77cat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:26 am
At least he's not in charge of picking the roster for the Olympics.
Beware! He will decide playing times and rotations.
https://basketballforever.com/2023/09/1 ... criticisms
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:29 am

If Steph is to get his 5th championship ... this young man will be his #1 teammate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylc4taZ_QWc

Great interview. He wants to be a "Warrior for life"! Very thoughtful young man. There is no doubt that he has superstar potential. Hopefully Kerr will either facilitate his progress or get out of the way.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:31 am

Cat Forever wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:29 am
If Steph is to get his 5th championship ... this young man will be his #1 teammate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylc4taZ_QWc

Great interview. He wants to be a "Warrior for life"! Very thoughtful young man. There is no doubt that he has superstar potential. Hopefully Kerr will either facilitate his progress or get out of the way.
Such maturity and perspective for a 21-year old. I wish I’d had any amount of that maturity at that age. I could even use some now.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:08 pm

Kerr doesn't have the answers on Kuminga: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Th0yirah9N0

Dear Coach Kerr:
1. JK is the 2nd best player on the team now. What else do you need to know? Play him 35 mpg.
2. Can he play the 3 position? Yes. And Wiggins splits time at 2 with Moody/Podz and plays 3 when Kuminga rests. Moody can play 3 too with his 7'1" wingspan.
3. Passing and ballhandling? If you are worried about that why do you have him bring the ball up and initiate the offense about 25% of the time now?
4. If you want to worry about something, how about this: He will be a restricted free agent at the end of next season barring an extension. There will be numerous teams ready to snatch him for all the law allows which could be $30 million+ annually. If you're going to re-sign Klay (please don't) do so with keeping Kuminga on board in mind.
5. You like the defense with Trayce at 5 and Draymond at 4? We all do ... especially when you bring yourself to keep them in the game together. Put JK at 3 and Wiggins or Moody at 2 and you have your best on ball defenders (JK, Moody or Wiggs) on the court and the Warriors become one of the best 5 or 6 defenses in the NBA

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:01 am

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:47 am

WSJ: "The LeBron Generation in the NBA is Finally Over"
https://www.wsj.com/sports/basketball/l ... eatst_pos4

This line made me chuckle, in observing the ages of LeBron, KD, and Steph:

"In many ways, it’s a reminder that in sports, Father Time is undefeated. The three stars are a combined 111 years old, and despite astronomical advances in sports science, no joints stay limber forever."
The artist formerly known as Freehold.