Steph update

A new forum for discussion about Davidson's professional athletes.
Cat Forever

Re: Steph update

Post by Cat Forever » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:26 pm

MikeMaloy15 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:43 pm
It's difficult to see how signing Draymond was a "strategic mistake" if having him on board is an essential part of your trade idea.

And one way to read your response to the fact of Steph's happiness with the Green signing is that poor Steph lacks your objectivity. If that's not a fair reading I take it back. If it is a fair reading, then I just disagree.
Siakam has been on the trade block for months. The Warriors strategy is to not trade Draymond. My discussion was about the "coulds" and "woulds" of a trade option was in answer to the "feasible alternatives" that you had not heard about. The Warriors were reported to have inquired about Siakam by respected reporters with inside information. It was not my trade idea but I do like it. The Raptors insisted that Kuminga be included in any trade for a core Warriors player and the Warriors declined so the discussions ended. Core Warriors = Draymond, Klay, Wiggins, and Steph. I love Kuminga, but I would trade him and Draymond for Siakam today. I'm looking at a 3 year window for Steph to get another championship. In 4 or 5 years Kuminga will have a chance to be better than Siakam, but not in the next 2 or 3 years.

I would never use the word "poor" as a description of Steph in any aspect of his life including statements about Draymond. What Steph states publicly may or may not be his most objective opinion. He has publicly defended almost all of Draymond's mistakes so his loyalty does influence his stated opinions regarding Draymond and I disagree with those statements too.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:59 am

You complained that signing Draymond was a bad strategic move. You stated no alternative to signing him, and your only proffered "alternative" transaction in fact required GSW to sign him. Now, after taking a second crack at it, you still haven't listed an "alternative" that didn't have GSW signing Draymond first.

But now that we're at whether Draymond + Kuminga for Siakam is a good idea, I wouldn't do that deal, so we just disagree. No doubt there are plenty of people who would agree with you, because few players have ever been as difficult to assign a value to as is Draymond. I think he is much more valuable to GSW than he would be to other teams, both because of GSW's system and the way he meshes with the varied talents of the other 4 starters on the court with him. [This probably applies to K Looney as well.] I also don't want them to get rid of Kuminga after dumping two other young guys (Wiseman, Poole). C Paul will need Kuminga out there with him so that the second team doesn't limbo under the exceedingly low bar it set last year as one of the NBA's worst.

You've got me very curious to see just who the Raptors end up getting in a trade and, even more, how Siakam does with his new team.
Toronto seems to be denying that it wants to trade him, but that's an issue on which the rumor mill is often more accurate than "official" pronouncements.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:23 am

The strategic mistake was heading down the road of signing Draymond and Klay to long term contracts that extend through Steph's prime years. Signing Draymond first as a prerequisite to a trade does not mean they had to do a 4 year contract. The alternatives include extending contracts for only 1 or 2 years and retaining the right to trade at the team's option. Or a sign and trade if Draymond or Klay don't want a short term extension contract. The sign and trade works in the current team's favor and to the player's benefit for a better deal. Unfortunately it's likely that Draymond's contract includes a prohibition on a trade for a year or so at least.

It's all a mute point anyway. Steph, Kerr, Dunleavy, and Lacob have apparently decided to keep the core together for the rest of Steph's career. I think that is a bad strategy if winning championships is the goal. Maybe Moody and Kuminga will ride to their rescue ...
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:33 am

Unusual signing of Warriors 2nd round pick. The frontcourt answer?

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/go ... t/1638723/

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:20 am

Cat Forever wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:33 am
Unusual signing of Warriors 2nd round pick. The frontcourt answer?

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/go ... t/1638723/
Good pickup.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:42 pm

TJD hasn't suited up for the Warriors' summer league team yet. He must be killing it in practices to be so rewarded...?

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:59 am

MrMac wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:42 pm
TJD hasn't suited up for the Warriors' summer league team yet. He must be killing it in practices to be so rewarded...?
Didn't hurt that his agent and the Warriors GM are brothers ...

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:11 am

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:44 pm

I’ve read that by giving Draymond a 4 year contract for not much more than was expected for 3 years the Dubs will save a substantial amount in salary cap violation charges.

Apparently they have reached the point where every additional dollar above the cap has a penalty hit of over $10. Stretching Draymond’s payments out will reduce his pay in the first season. That reduces the team’s cap penalty by much more than the pay difference.

Chris Paul has a potentially expiring contract (I think it’s a team option for ‘24-‘25 for $30 mil). If they don’t exercise their option they can save a ton that season.

Steph’s contract runs out one year before Draymond’s. If he wants to play after that they’ll need to work out a new deal. Realistically Steph won’t be worth over 20% of the team’s cap space then like he is now. I expect he’ll get paid handsomely, but not $50 mil per season.

Edit: Steph’s salary is now over 22% of the Dub’s total player payroll. However, it is over 38% of the allowable salary cap. GS is now paying for their great bargain when Steph was undervalued. But I don’t feel sorry for them. He’s the one most responsible for their increased revenue and the massive increase in the estimated value of the franchise.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:03 pm

Cat Forever wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:11 am
This will help:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/379 ... l-warriors
I hope Saric plays well enough to earn a huge multi-year contract following the upcoming season...and wins a championship with the Dubs.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:51 pm

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/stephe ... rity-event

The highlights are worth watching.

I think winning this would be as high on the list for Steph as another NBA championship.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:02 am

It would be a bigger surprise than him winning an NBA title. Go Steph.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:50 pm

Hole in 1 on #7 just now!

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:19 pm

Saw that. Still in shock. Steph must have been playing a lot of golf this post-season.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:22 pm

Needs to do the same thing on #17, and he (and his favorite charity) will each be 500k happier.