Steph update

A new forum for discussion about Davidson's professional athletes.
Cat Forever

Re: Steph update

Post by Cat Forever » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:20 pm

Paul improves Warriors defense and playmaking with the 4th best assist:turnover ratio in the NBA. That will get Steph and Klay more good shots. He'll play at least 25 to 30 minutes per game. We'll see him on the court with Steph and Klay when the Warriors go small ball.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:47 pm

Warriors need to trade up and try to draft Dereck Lively to get some rebounding and rim protection. Or take Oscar Tshiebwe to get a top rebounder if they can't trade up. The Celtics have had Tshiebwe for a 2nd workout ... does Brad Stevens see a 2nd round steal?
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:53 pm

Wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole. But he helps get rid of Poole's nutty contract. It's a positive move. I'd play him 10 minutes a game, max. You don't want him to be a big part of your attack. It'll expose you to the big letdown when he falls apart in the postseason.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:27 am

Warriors take a left-handed clone of DiVicenzo at #19. Brandin Podziemski SG at 6'5" averaged 19.9 ppg and 8.8 rpg at Santa Clara. Rebounding guard with "nose for the ball" and hustle game with "dog in him". Shot 43.8% from 3.

Take concensus 1st team AA Indiana PF/C Trayce Jackson-Davis at #57. 6'9" 240 lbs athletic big. Son of former NBA player Dale Davis. Rebounder and defender without an outside shot but a lob threat at the rim and inside scoring. 2022-23: 20.9/10.8 and he finished 3rd on all-time IU scoring list with 2258 points. He has a chip on his shoulders for being passed over in earlier picks in the draft. He's out to prove them all wrong.The Warriors had him rated much higher.

A physical specimen: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzSKmT0aAAE ... name=large

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:23 pm

It would be an understatement to say I'm not a Paul fan, and my immediate reaction wasn't exactly measured or appropriate for repetition here, even in paraphrase. But there seems to be an internet consensus that the trade both dumps Poole's contract in the least painful way GSW could manage and constitutes an affirmative act to appease Draymond Green in the attempt to retain his services. NBA financial rule changes targeting teams like GSW required them to take a strong step re payroll and this appears to be it.

I would limit Paul's time to leading the second team. GSW's offensive statistics when Steph was out last year were among the worst in the league and in the playoffs the numbers managed to limbo under even that low bar. Paul can do his very non-Warriors thing with the subs. The different style might be a nice change of pace to throw at current opponents instead of the current change of pace, which simply seems to be not scoring at all instead of scoring a lot.

I'd be hesitant to play him and Steph at the same time for very long, which would result in Paul's minutes being more to I-77's liking. The downside to that is the fear that Paul would be healthy for postseason play. He's the anti-Jimmy Butler.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:34 pm

I recall that there was some Chris Paul gear at the Buzzkill auction. So I assume that came from a request from Steph. So I'm not surprised to hear that they have been friends.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:30 pm

IIRC, Steph attended CP3's invitation-only Elite Guard Camp in Summer 2008, which was a big deal at the time. They became friends that summer, before they became rivals a little over a year later.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:55 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:06 pm
I will shocked if Klay and Green aren’t back next season.
Green is back.

graveline

Post by graveline » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:51 am

I’m not a big fan of Paul the player, but I worked with his niece who was a wonderful person (and he paid her way through school) and the stories of his grandfather are legendary and heartbreaking
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:26 am

wildforthecats wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:55 pm
wildforthecats wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:06 pm
I will shocked if Klay and Green aren’t back next season.
Green is back.
Strategic mistake. The Warriors will probably make a second mistake by signing Klay to an extension. The chances for Steph getting a 5th championship just went down even though he's still in his prime. The big contracts for Draymond and Klay will prohibit the signing of any star level free agents. And both players are in decline which will decrease their trade value. Steph will finish his career with his friends at least. Nostalgia will sell tickets I guess ... but it won't win championships. The hope for Steph is that Kuminga and Moody will emerge as stars but that will require Kerr to play them much more than he was willing to play them last season.

And Lakers and Suns are getting better now as they prepare for the immediate future to go after Denver ...

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:06 pm

Steph should still get a Gold at the Olympics.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:23 am

I don't understand the ins and outs of NBA contracts/payrolls, but someone who does told me that GSW can do more in terms of paying existing players (Draymond, Klay) than they can with other players from outside the organization. And of course not all outsiders are both available and anxious to join GSW right now. I'm not convinced this move is a bad one until I hear about a feasible alternative that might actually have happened. The internet provides more speculation about moves and roster building than is healthy, yet I haven't seen many serious references to anything other than (1) calling it a day, short term or (2) signing Draymond.

Not a fan of (1) because I only care about what happens during the next 4 years, while Steph is still there. Après Steph, le déluge is my take now and as we draw nearer to the day Steph retires. By most accounts, Steph himself thinks that signing Draymond is the right move. Therefore, so do I.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:19 pm

I’m hopeful that Klay will have a consistently good season. He’s now had time to recover from his injuries. He’s getting older, but he’s younger than Steph.

Draymond can still play excellent D and facilitate on offense. He’ll never be a good outside shooter. He obviously knows how to win though he is capable of imploding as well.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:18 pm

Available?

Paschal Siakam 6'9'' PF is now and has been available for trade. He will be a free agent next year. Draymond is not good enough for a 1 for 1 trade for Siakam but he could be paired with another player and draft picks for a successful trade. Green's contract would probably be attractive to Toronto. Siakam is 29 and would be an excellent match for the Warriors system and could help Steph win another championship. He has been an NBA champion and all NBA 2nd and 3rd team pick. Wiggins and Siakam would probably be the quickest forward combo in the NBA.

Steph is still in his prime and he's better now than in his MVP years ... especially on defense. He and LeBron are exceptions to the rules regarding aging in the NBA.

Draymond and Klay? Time will tell. I believe both are past their primes. Steph is close to both of them of course so I don't expect him to offer anything but a positive opinion. I really like Klay but I fear he won't return to the All Star level after the injuries. Plus Klay and Draymond are both at the age when most players begin to decline and neither seem to be prepared for that reality. Draymond can be expected to continue his negative behavior and is likely to do so with more frequency.

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:43 pm

It's difficult to see how signing Draymond was a "strategic mistake" if having him on board is an essential part of your trade idea.

And one way to read your response to the fact of Steph's happiness with the Green signing is that poor Steph lacks your objectivity. If that's not a fair reading I take it back. If it is a fair reading, then I just disagree.