The 2020-21 Pioneer Football League CHAMPIONS! NCAA Playoff Team
85Wildcatsky

Re: Up next: at Dayton

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sat Oct 12, 2024 7:48 pm

i77cat wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2024 6:52 pm
85Wildcatsky wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2024 2:40 pm
...One game should not put us out of the title hunt. There seems to be some parity at the top.
I think we're done. We'll be underdogs in two more games. Dayton is unlikely to lose twice. They'll keep the tiebreaker over us. And Dayton isn't one of the two best teams in the PFL.
I have been watching the other teams and I am not impressed.

St Thomas is lucky they beat Marist today. They play SD, Drake, Butler, and Dayton. That is some heavy lifting.

Butler has 1 loss and hopefully beats Dayton next week and we can take them out in two weeks. They still have St Thomas.

Drake has the easiest schedule. I think they would have a tough time with us but unfortunately we don't play them. They only have St Thomas from the upper tier.

Those kicks killed us today. I have no idea why coach didn't switch kickers or at least alternate.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:13 pm

Why would you be impressed? It's a weak conference. Drake is the best of a limited bunch. We don't have a team in the league that can win a playoff game. Not close.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:32 pm

Corpulent Cat wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2024 2:51 pm
Yeah, we might have to go to the senior kicker for FGs.

I think Coach Jackson was special teams coach the last few years and he is excellent. He is currently out as folks may recall. I hope he is back soon.
He's been coaching all year. He's up in the coaches box.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

CountryCat

Post by CountryCat » Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:23 pm

Corpulent Cat wrote:
I think Coach Jackson was special teams coach the last few years and he is excellent…
Define excellent, because I have a different take.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:24 pm

CountryCat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:23 pm
Corpulent Cat wrote:
I think Coach Jackson was special teams coach the last few years and he is excellent…
Any man that has been through what he has been and shows up to work everyday with the passion he has for the Wildcats is excellent in my books.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:22 pm

I hate to throw the players under the bus like that. If the coach is excellent and the product is poor, you are putting a lot on the players. I don't know who is at fault, but the product isn't good enough. The proof of the pudding is in the taste. People say Mack Brown is a great guy and a Hall of Famer. Are his players that awful? Can he not attract quality coaches to help him? Hard to believe. At Davidson I think there is enough talent to be better at special teams than what we've seen. Maybe this Saturday will be different.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

CountryCat

Post by CountryCat » Tue Oct 15, 2024 6:14 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:24 pm
CountryCat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:23 pm
Corpulent Cat wrote:
Any man that has been through what he has been and shows up to work everyday with the passion he has for the Wildcats is excellent in my books.
No one is questioning his personal challenge(s), passion or work ethic…

CountryCat

Post by CountryCat » Tue Oct 15, 2024 6:24 pm

i77cat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:22 pm
I hate to throw the players under the bus like that. If the coach is excellent and the product is poor, you are putting a lot on the players. I don't know who is at fault, but the product isn't good enough. The proof of the pudding is in the taste. People say Mack Brown is a great guy and a Hall of Famer. Are his players that awful? Can he not attract quality coaches to help him? Hard to believe. At Davidson I think there is enough talent to be better at special teams than what we've seen. Maybe this Saturday will be different.
I agree about throwing players under the bus, but I’ll also go back to my original comment about the HC recognizing all phases being important. Since he arrived in ‘18, ST has been the weakest part of his game. If something’s not working, time to make a change on the field or whomever is wearing the headset for that position group. Just my .02 Go Cats!

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Oct 15, 2024 6:27 pm

A few hundred thousand should be able to fund a field goal kicker. The rest of the kicking seems to be OK to me.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:51 pm

The kicker wasn't the biggest problem Saturday. The protection was sorry. 4 kicks blocked. Same kicker was 7/9 on FG last year. It doesn't take big money to get a kicker. We have other kickers available. I'd use one of them until Zouagui gets his head right. Watch him in warmups. His leg is fine. And he booms his kickoffs.