Up next: Catawba

The 2020-21 Pioneer Football League CHAMPIONS! NCAA Playoff Team
i77cat

Re: Up next: Catawba

Post by i77cat » Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:23 pm

7-21 halftime.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:25 pm

Still 21-7 at the half. Our defense is incredibly better than last week, putting pressure on the Catawba quarterback just about every pass play.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:00 pm

28-7 with 6:37 left in the 3rd quarter.

We stopped them on their first drive of the 2nd half and scored on our drive.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:05 pm

The PA announcer made a reference to Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

We wish!

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:11 pm

35-7 after a long pass and a great catch got us to their 9.

3:43 left in the 3rd quarter

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:05 pm

14-49, final.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:07 pm

I just tuned in to ESPN+ in time to see our last TD. Appears to be a surprisingly sparse crowd. I realize most of the Catawba fans have bailed due to the blowout, but still...
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:26 pm

Davidson students were there in big numbers until halftime.

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:28 pm

stands were packed on the home side for most of the game.. great atmosphere..lots of football alums around where we sat
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:33 pm

One of the home sections was packed. Overall, the home side was no more than 70% full. Good attendance, not great.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:33 pm

The section on the south side of the home side, not the student section, was full. The section on the north side of the home side looked full from the south side. That's where the students were. I didn't look at the middle section.

There were a lot of people sitting on the hill behind the north end zone. They appeared to be people with kids and many left at halftime and during the second half.

The Catawba side was about half full. There was a high school band on their side of the field and the band members were rewarded with Field 76 shirts.

We had a long drive to get home and left at the end of the 3rd quarter. As we were exiting the stadium, we saw Mari Adams's long run to make it 42-7.

We listened to the game on WHIP as we headed north on 77. The reception was better when we entered Iredell County, but faded as we passed exit 36. We didn't hear the last Davidson TD.

We'll need some marketing creativity when we aren't playing an opponent that's 25 miles away.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:37 pm

Excellent kicking/powerful leg by Adam Zouagui. Every kickoff resulted in a touchback. Not sure if Davidson as a program has ever achieved such a feat.

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:27 pm

Great Win by the Cats!

Stadium-

I walked around the stadium prior to kick off and there seemed to be a ton of people attending. Yes some of the stands were not filled but there were many people on both the home and visiting viewing concourses standing to watch the game. There were also people viewing from the new reception center in the press box.

Pros-

Sound system was great. It was awesome to finally hear the referees' penalty announcements.
Bathrooms are 1000 percent better.
Fixed back seats are nice.
The PA announcer was solid.
The hillside fans are a great addition and I hope it continues to be a draw for young fans and their parents.
Touchdown Train scoreboard video after Cats scores
Strobing red and white stadium lights during game announcements and after touchdowns.
Tailgating just above the North end zone was solid and I hope it continues.

Cons-

Concession lines were absurdly long.
Concession prices have joined the big time. I guess that is how they help pay for a stadium. $11 specialty beers and $8 sandwiches!
Cats installed a great new scoreboard but they still can't or are unwilling to show replays.
Subjective- I thought the music and motivation songs played were a bit too loud. However, it just may be my older ears complaining.
No game programs. :cry:

Game_

Great job QB Durkin for stepping in and running the offense flawlessly. No interceptions and no fumbles.
Solid improvement by defense. Some of their hits were outstanding.
Sheron and Hill are a great 1-2 punch.
Zouagui is the best kick off kicker that I can remember on a Wildcat roster. 8 Kickoffs and no returns!

Great Day to be a Wildcat!
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:16 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:27 pm

Subjective- I thought the music and motivation songs played were a bit too loud. However, it just may be my older ears complaining.
It's deafening at Illinois.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:30 pm

Attendance was listed at 4477. Not bad at all. Should be better for PFL games, much worse for Point.