Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:35 am

Yea I get it. You just tell me do you want a couple top 150 players on roster to play or walkons? I'm sure there is room for both. As someone suggested- Yale and other teams carry a lot of non scholarship players- and we may just do the same. My point is just competition breeds further success; no one should ever be satisfied with the status quo. Bob is committed to a bigger program. That's why he pushed to join the A10. I encourage and applaud all - alumni, coaches, players, fans who have provided so much to making the program so successful so early in a new conference.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:40 am

"had no recruits outside of axel"

3 Freshman, counting Duca and KP.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:45 am

Walk-ons do not prevent the team from adding top 150 players or recruits of any level. They wouldn't be added to the roster if coach didn't think they wouldn't add to the competitiveness at practice and overall character of the team. This seems like a silly discussion.

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:53 am

It's a silly discussion if there are unlimited roster spots. It is not a silly discussion if the NCAA limits roster size in addition to scholarship numbers. I don't think the NCAA does limit number of players on a team.

If they did, a smaller than expected recruiting class followed by a bigger than expected recruiting class would result in the necessity to cut walk-on players. Luckily, I don't think that is the case (but I could be wrong.)

BDF

Post by BDF » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:17 am

Cobb is required to put a copy of this thread in the Davidsoncats prospectus, right?

I can just imagine the conversation at Toast:

(Member of the basketball program), "Really Cobb? Fillers?"

Cobb, "I'm retired."
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:39 am

https://twitter.com/Coach_Rick57/status ... 0378677249
@Coach_Rick57 wrote:Per source, Davidson will be in to see 6'1 '17 Matt Halvorsen of Christ School today.

#NCTop80

Lights out shooter

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 am

DCA06 wrote:Yea I get it. You just tell me do you want a couple top 150 players on roster to play or walkons? I'm sure there is room for both. As someone suggested- Yale and other teams carry a lot of non scholarship players- and we may just do the same. My point is just competition breeds further success; no one should ever be satisfied with the status quo. Bob is committed to a bigger program. That's why he pushed to join the A10. I encourage and applaud all - alumni, coaches, players, fans who have provided so much to making the program so successful so early in a new conference.
Just stop while you are behind. The hole only gets deeper.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:00 pm

I value your opinions- and I don't need to lessen mine for you or anyone. I have not said anything rude or shocking. Everyone here pulls for the same end goal; rooting for a successful basketball team that is representative of many of our shared values from our college experiences. I am genuinely excited about the team's potential to be a top 25 program and I will encourage them to continue on that path as it is very achievable. None of these posters, including me, have anything substantive to add more so than the next. If you cannot handle a differing opinion or one that is more competitive than you are comfortable with, then disagree. I will respect you for your input. I do not look to dilute your views or any other member. If you have a problem with my opinions; then I am sorry for you. This is a message board whereby being antagonistic is not productive. You can learn something from another's perspective.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:09 pm

DCA06 wrote:I value your opinions- and I don't need to lessen mine for you or anyone. I have not said anything rude or shocking. Everyone here pulls for the same end goal; rooting for a successful basketball team that is representative of many of our shared values from our college experiences. I am genuinely excited about the team's potential to be a top 25 program and I will encourage them to continue on that path as it is very achievable. None of these posters, including me, have anything substantive to add more so than the next. If you cannot handle a differing opinion or one that is more competitive than you are comfortable with, then disagree. I will respect you for your input. I do not look to dilute your views or any other member. If you have a problem with my opinions; then I am sorry for you. This is a message board whereby being antagonistic is not productive. You can learn something from another's perspective.
Let me put it in simpler terms....don't degrade our players. If someone at your place of employment suggested that "we don't expect [him] back next year- [he is just a] filler", I am sure you would not take to that kindly and would be insulted. I'm sure all of our players take great pride in their work as I am sure you do, and, would feel equally insulted by that statement.
Last edited by collegecoach8502 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:09 pm

BDF wrote:Cobb is required to put a copy of this thread in the Davidsoncats prospectus, right?

I can just imagine the conversation at Toast:

(Member of the basketball program), "Really Cobb? Fillers?"

Cobb, "I'm retired."
Tombstone will say the same. 8)

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:22 pm

We need those guys and they are all excellent players. Go watch them practice. Go watch Manu throw one down with just two steps and with authority. Faines could start a lot of places. Perkey pounds the big in practice. It takes a village. (That was bad).
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:41 pm

If the A10 had an all-star team for enthusiasm, Manu would be on the first squad.

Anybody who is not impressed by the importance of the non-scholarship players to the team has not attended a practice nor has listened to Coach's comments on the matter.

Their parents are often a great part of the Davidson basketball family. I don't think Carol Tormey missed a single game, home or away, Clay's senior year.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:09 pm

I'm not diminishing anyone's contribution or value to the program. I think you're reading into this more than you should be... My point is we needed more walkons than usual because 2015 recruits who medically redshirted are not 2026 recruits and we lost 3-4 players. every division 1 sport is a business. Bob is unique in probably having one of the best relationships with his employer across any sport. But don't be naive, better conference gives the program and school more money. Everyone wants as many of the best players as the program can recruit.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:31 pm

DCA06 wrote:I'm not diminishing anyone's contribution or value to the program. I think you're reading into this more than you should be... My point is we needed more walkons than usual because 2015 recruits who medically redshirted are not 2026 recruits and we lost 3-4 players. every division 1 sport is a business. Bob is unique in probably having one of the best relationships with his employer across any sport. But don't be naive, better conference gives the program and school more money. Everyone wants as many of the best players as the program can recruit.
You said what you said. Whether you were trying to make a different point or not, you diminished the role of members of our team. That won't go unnoticed nor be ignored. You have had a number of hours to edit or delete your statements, you did not. You have simply continued to argue your case. If you want to continue that's fine, I can just delete your comment(s).

delaReine

Post by delaReine » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:36 pm

DCA06 wrote:I'm not diminishing anyone's contribution or value to the program. I think you're reading into this more than you should be... My point is we needed more walkons than usual because 2015 recruits who medically redshirted are not 2026 recruits and we lost 3-4 players. every division 1 sport is a business. Bob is unique in probably having one of the best relationships with his employer across any sport. But don't be naive, better conference gives the program and school more money. Everyone wants as many of the best players as the program can recruit.
Have a "snickers". Resist the urge to have the last word.
A community built on trust and honesty by definition practices patience, compassion and forgiveness. - Dr. Carol E. Quillen