No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:41 am

There was a strong movement to create a privately run juvenile prison in NC a few years back. There was strong lobbying from the company (I can't remember the name--Abraxas?)
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

maber

Post by maber » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:49 am

Dr. Bliss wrote:There was a strong movement to create a privately run juvenile prison in NC a few years back. There was strong lobbying from the company (I can't remember the name--Abraxas?)

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:08 pm

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:
stevelee wrote: Perhaps you have suggestions for alternatives to our tort systems that don't involve even more draconian government regulation.
There are many good plans for tort reform out there but you will have to go beyond progressive sources to find them ... way beyond the scope of this forum and tangled up in partisan politics.
Sadly what winds up being done in the name of tort reform tends to have more to do with partisan gamesmanship and the powerful lobbies. I have no doubt that there are somewhere some good ideas. Similarly "tax reform." The NC legislature managed to raise most people's net state taxes while bringing in less revenue. The good news is that I and some others here got better seats in Belk Arena this season because one of the reasons that some long-time fans chose not to renew was the price rise that was mostly state taxes (and "who wants to see them Yankee teams?").
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:55 am

Tort abuses in this country stem in large part from the litigation costs necessary to defeat even a frivolous claim. Years of discovery, motion practice and plenary trial often lead to defense costs in the tens of thousands of dollars. Inevitably, defendants avoid a "pyrhic" victory by buying peace at a settlement cost far less than obtaining a positive jury verdict.

Straight forward reform - the British system of civil jurisprudence - the case loser pays the winner's litigation costs.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:50 pm

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Stupid? Matt Barnes is a genius. Raking in stripper cash with his foot and cramming it in his pocket.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:24 am

stan wrote:Funny how people get their panties in a bunch over abuses in private prisons and never seem to recognize the extraordinary waste, corruption and abuse in public prisons. Consistency, folks. Better to get pissed at all the BS, regardless of political affiliation, and retain credibility.
You will note that I didn't make that distinction in the sweeping generalizations of my original rant. Specifics subsequently mention were examples, not exhaustive coverage.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:13 am

i77cat wrote:Stupid? Matt Barnes is a genius. Raking in stripper cash with his foot and cramming it in his pocket.
A genius hanging out with Iverson at strip clubs? Now that would be a real story! But I don't think Matt Barnes has done anything in a strip club that would qualify him for Mensa.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:34 am

Supposedly Don Meredith was asked if he could be someone else who would he be? He said Bobby Layne's driver- the pay may not be great, but you'll go to a lot of interesting places.

Matt Barnes may want to be AI's driver. Oh the places you'll go.

Note for everyone under 55- Bobby Layne was a QB from Texas known as a party animal.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm

I was thinking the unc verdict would be forthcoming this week- nicely after the championship. Anyone know of a timeline?

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 pm

mccabemi wrote:I was thinking the unc verdict would be forthcoming this week- nicely after the championship. Anyone know of a timeline?
Rumor - late summer
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

BaseRich306

Post by BaseRich306 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:52 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
mccabemi wrote:I was thinking the unc verdict would be forthcoming this week- nicely after the championship. Anyone know of a timeline?
Rumor - late summer

Followed shortly thereafter by Luke Maye reopening his recruitment??

A guy can hope.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:49 pm

BaseRich306 wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:
Rumor - late summer

Followed shortly thereafter by Luke Maye reopening his recruitment??

A guy can hope.
Doubtful...although he had another great weekend in FL. Also, taking the best looking girl at his high school to the prom.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."