No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:21 pm

NC now requires prosecutors to offer first time low level drug offenders deferral contracts. If the defendant jumps through the hoops and stays out of trouble the charge will be dismissed. Such deferrals were available in the past, but only if the prosecutor agreed to it- now they are automatic.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:34 pm

The criminal justice system is big business. In some areas it is the largest employer. Like most businesses, growth depends in part upon repeat business.

They don't have time to mess with trivial things like defrauding people out of billions of dollars.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 pm

stevelee wrote:The criminal justice system is big business. In some areas it is the largest employer. Like most businesses, growth depends in part upon repeat business.

They don't have time to mess with trivial things like defrauding people out of billions of dollars.
Interesting assertions, but I respectfully ask that you justify them with some factual basis. Such generalized statements, standing alone, mean little unless you explain them and back them up.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:07 am

Actually, they mean nothing at all.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:09 am

Anecdotally I've heard that the for profit prison companies have lobbyists pushing some harsh bills. To date NC has no private prisons, but they fit the small gov't/privatize model that is becoming more popular here.

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:25 am

catnhat wrote:Anecdotally I've heard that the for profit prison companies have lobbyists pushing some harsh bills. To date NC has no private prisons, but they fit the small gov't/privatize model that is becoming more popular here.
I have observed the private prison folks in our state up close and you can be sure that their interest is in pushing legislation to strengthen sentencing laws. And it has nothing to do with smaller government at less cost and everything to do with getting to the trough of public dollars.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 am

raptorcat wrote:
stevelee wrote:The criminal justice system is big business. In some areas it is the largest employer. Like most businesses, growth depends in part upon repeat business.

Interesting assertions, but I respectfully ask that you justify them with some factual basis. Such generalized statements, standing alone, mean little unless you explain them and back them up.
Chalk it up to a rant by an old white guy about systemic problems in our society. I don't think I'd have a whole lot of problem Googling names of counties in the US where for-profit prisons are the largest employers, or the times when a "war on drugs" was accompanied by cuts in budgets for treatment, rehabilitation, etc. I could probably find the name of the guy who received a life sentence for stealing a slice of pizza, and rather than researching the names of bankers and Wall St. folk who are walking around as free men after the October, 2008, events, I could just cite quotations from the AG and others in the DOJ about how it would be more trouble than it is worth to indict them.

But more to my point, stay off my lawn!
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:03 am

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:11 am

Never trust a guy with the last name Bliss.

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:19 am

Looks like we have a political discussion evolving in the appropriate thread. Speaking of greedy folks in the criminal justice system lobbying for laws to garner more profits ... is anyone going to complain about the powerful trial lawyers lobby? Or are they the good guys on the "right team" working for truth and justice?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:34 am

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:Looks like we have a political discussion evolving in the appropriate thread. Speaking of greedy folks in the criminal justice system lobbying for laws to garner more profits ... is anyone going to complain about the powerful trial lawyers lobby? Or are they the good guys on the "right team" working for truth and justice?
Sometimes, regrettably, that seems to be what mechanism we have for truth and justice in cases whether otherwise the balance of power and money is lopsided. Perhaps more often it is like the cases my buddy in CA defends for insurance companies. And then there are the numerous class actions where the lawyers get millions and the injured parties get $10 discount coupons for more stuff from the defendants.

Perhaps you have suggestions for alternatives to our tort systems that don't involve even more draconian government regulation.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stan

Post by stan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:58 am

Funny how people get their panties in a bunch over abuses in private prisons and never seem to recognize the extraordinary waste, corruption and abuse in public prisons. Consistency, folks. Better to get pissed at all the BS, regardless of political affiliation, and retain credibility.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

stan

Post by stan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:00 am

Returning the thread to stupid, college and sports, the U. of Michigan is currently struggling to be a college its football coach can be proud of.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:03 am

Now I understand the context, Steve. I guess that since we have no for-profit prisons in North Carolina, the issues and problems associated with them are largely off my radar. As I'm sure you're aware, there is a bipartisan movement at the Federal level to lessen the penalties for low-level drug offenses. If the private prisons are pushing for stiffer penalties, it would be antithetical to the underlying philosophies of this pending sea change. Also, our legislature has enacted sweeping new laws dealing with probation that are actually forward-thinking and progressive, IMO. I know of no active lobbying efforts by private prison interests to persuade the General Assembly to take a more hard-line stance regarding sentencing. Of course, I am far from claiming to be a Raleigh "insider."
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:11 am

stevelee wrote: Perhaps you have suggestions for alternatives to our tort systems that don't involve even more draconian government regulation.
There are many good plans for tort reform out there but you will have to go beyond progressive sources to find them ... way beyond the scope of this forum and tangled up in partisan politics.