No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
catnhat

Post by catnhat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:32 pm

CofC has hired Earl Grant if one media report and one tweet can be believed. He's been an asst. at Clemson who previously worked for Gregg Marshall at Winthrop and Wichita State. He also spent some time at El Cid. He's from Charleston and played DII ball in Georgia.

chucktowncat

Post by chucktowncat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:47 pm

catnhat wrote:CofC has hired Earl Grant if one media report and one tweet can be believed. He's been an asst. at Clemson who previously worked for Gregg Marshall at Winthrop and Wichita State. He also spent some time at El Cid. He's from Charleston and played DII ball in Georgia.
I believe the Cougars stumbled into a good hire! I thought he should have been their first choice based on his experience in coaching and stellar recruiting.
If, indeed ,he is the chosen one, I wish him and the Cougars well.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 pm

I was hoping Cheap Suits would get the job.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:28 pm

i77cat wrote:I was hoping Cheap Suits would get the job.
Which one?

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:58 am

Wake Forest University has joined the PC thought police bigtime! Any student can now use their smart phone app to report being offended by another student on campus anonymously (either for spoken words or by physical appearance). This University operated "be nice" system provides an online form entitled the Bias Incident Report which then is reviewed by an Administration Panel to decide whether the subjective, emotional feelings of the student declaring him or herself offended justifies imposition of disciplinary action against the identified rude person. No standards have been announced by the University defining what speech or conduct constitutes prohibited un-niceness.

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:18 am

MadelastCut wrote:Wake Forest University has joined the PC thought police bigtime! Any student can now use their smart phone app to report being offended by another student on campus anonymously (either for spoken words or by physical appearance). This University operated "be nice" system provides an online form entitled the Bias Incident Report which then is reviewed by an Administration Panel to decide whether the subjective, emotional feelings of the student declaring him or herself offended justifies imposition of disciplinary action against the identified rude person. No standards have been announced by the University defining what speech or conduct constitutes prohibited un-niceness.
Is this real?? This is a really really bad idea.

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:45 am

See, website - Daily Caller - today's edition.

Johnston Gym

Post by Johnston Gym » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:01 pm

MadelastCut wrote:See, website - Daily Caller - today's edition.
It's probably a good idea not to put a whole lot of trust in the accuracy of anything written on a wingnut website - in this case, Tucker Carlson's Daily Caller.

No, the story is not accurate. No, there is no smart phone app. No, there is no pressure to report "unniceness".

Yes, there is an online form to report bias incidents and hate crimes at Wake and most other institutions. Go to Davidson.edu and you will find an identical reporting form - https://webapps.davidson.edu/bias/

There are a million places on the Internet for political discussions. It baffles me why anyone would come to davidsoncats.com to post a story from a dubious source about the dangers of "PC thought police"

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 pm

JG; While I am deeply offended by your derogatory language suggesting that my post was inaccurate - and more significantly inappropriate - in finding fault with the WFU Bias Incident reporting system, I am willing to overlook that very hurtful conduct toward me, should you be willing to consider more fully my views sans your bias against Mr. Carlson and his website.

Having read the Wake Forest website itself prior to submitting my post, I am confident that the vague, imprecise and undefined standards for triggering the full weight and authority of the speech overseers at Wake is accurately described as requiring everyone to be "nice" as DETERMINED BY THE PERSON HEARING THE SPOKEN WORDS. Indeed, the exact word included in this Code by the University is "uncivil"; that lack of "niceness" covers "jokes" as well as real criminal offenses, such as threats and physical intimidation. Keep in mind that beauty (as well as incivility) is left entirely in the eye of the beholder.

You may well be comfortable living in such an Orwellian universe where every poor taste joke gets the speaker penalized by Big Brother.

I, however, believe that a college campus is an unique setting open for all types of speech. Indeed, campuses are the best place for bad speech to be drown out by better speech. As a marketplace of ideas, a University that censors speech has abandoned its fundamental commitment to the search for truth through open debate and unfettered give and take of ideas.

If DU has likewise fallen into this trap of censorship, then shame on us.

TOK

Post by TOK » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:46 pm

MadelastCut wrote:JG; While I am deeply offended by your derogatory language suggesting that my post was inaccurate - and more significantly inappropriate - in finding fault with the WFU Bias Incident reporting system, I am willing to overlook that very hurtful conduct toward me, should you be willing to consider more fully my views sans your bias against Mr. Carlson and his website.

Having read the Wake Forest website itself prior to submitting my post, I am confident that the vague, imprecise and undefined standards for triggering the full weight and authority of the speech overseers at Wake is accurately described as requiring everyone to be "nice" as DETERMINED BY THE PERSON HEARING THE SPOKEN WORDS. Indeed, the exact word included in this Code by the University is "uncivil"; that lack of "niceness" covers "jokes" as well as real criminal offenses, such as threats and physical intimidation. Keep in mind that beauty (as well as incivility) is left entirely in the eye of the beholder.

You may well be comfortable living in such an Orwellian universe where every poor taste joke gets the speaker penalized by Big Brother.

I, however, believe that a college campus is an unique setting open for all types of speech. Indeed, campuses are the best place for bad speech to be drown out by better speech. As a marketplace of ideas, a University that censors speech has abandoned its fundamental commitment to the search for truth through open debate and unfettered give and take of ideas.

If DU has likewise fallen into this trap of censorship, then shame on us.
You must be older than me. When I attended universities from 1979-1989 they were the least open places for "all types of speech" that I had ever seen. Political correctness has been around for a long, long time.

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Yes TOK, I am older than thou. While some say I am older than dirt, most conclude that I would have best served to have occupied the latter Victorian Era.

Indeed, by the late 1970's, I was deeply engrossed in a litigation practice of law that compelled me to state - with utmost hyperbole and vigor - the most uncivil assertions not only about opposing litigants, but also with regards to the antics of their unscrupulous counsel, as well.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:46 pm

I said a lot of stupid things in college. They are even archived so I can remember them. Top of page 10.

http://library.davidson.edu/archives/da ... 980915.pdf

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I promise you all that when we finally upgrade our website one of the priorities will be an "ignore poster" button.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:13 am

Finally, I77, we agree that the best response to a person's disgruntlement over a perceived obnoxious post or public statement (even one on campus by a fellow student) is to just Man/Woman-Up and hit the ignore button. Much better than calling for retribution from the thought police and University censors.

BDF

Post by BDF » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:54 am

mccabemi wrote:I said a lot of stupid things in college. They are even archived so I can remember them. Top of page 10.

http://library.davidson.edu/archives/da ... 980915.pdf
Well done