No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:47 pm

RIP Blue Mist. I loved the name and the sign (a pig in tails and a tophat) but the food was mediocre and the cleanliness was sketchy. I don't know what finally broke the piggy's back, but local support was lacking.

Asheboro is only 25 miles from Lexington, but we don't have a beloved barbecue place. The Blue Mist used wood, but I think Jed's, Hop's, and Henry James' use gas. Their Q is edible, but there are probably a dozen places in Lexington better than all of them.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:21 pm

The Blue Mist is where the Chancellor (maybe the AD) of UNCC met a car dealer from Apex to propose he sell his dealership and move to Charlotte to become the 49ers' head coach. They had been rejected by every coach in the western world.

Jeff Mullins said, "Yes". He rebuilt UNCC's program at a time Davidson's was in decline.

In 1976, Davidson was looking for a new coach. My roommate suggested Mullins, who was retiring from the Warriors. We wrote a letter listing his attributes and slid it under the AD's door. We hired Gary Walters and then Dave Pritchett. Mullins bought the Chevrolet dealership in Apex and made it successful.

In the late '90s, I was working at a concession stand at the "blowed up" Coliseum. Jeff Mullins and his wife came up to buy something. I took a break to tell them 2 stories about Jeff. I had seen him hit a half court shot at the half time buzzer in a St. Louis Hawks' game in Greensboro in the mid-'60s. The second story was about the letter we wrote the Davidson AD in 1976. It was clear from his look and his wife's gushing that he would have taken the job.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:55 pm

catnhat wrote:Asheboro is only 25 miles from Lexington, but we don't have a beloved barbecue place.
I don't know if Flag Springs still has a barbecue done by the men of the church. It was quite good when I was there. They did a whole hog over wood.

Back when I attended our Annual Conference, I would have a meal each year at Butts on the Creek in Maggie Valley with people from Asheboro. I think that's been mentioned on here before.

I totally agree with DC69 about Sonny's.

I love slaw. It is possible to make a slaw I don't care for, but you really have to work at it. You might explain it by my predominant German ancestry and Krautsalat racial memory, or the fact that I grew up eating western-style NC barbecue and my mother's extensive repertoire of slaws. The two factors are unlikely to be independent.

Form followed function. Mother made completely different sorts of slaw (ingredients, coarseness) to put on hot dogs, to eat with fish, to have on/with barbecue, etc., etc. I can't imagine anyone exerting more rigor in matching food with the right wine.

In 1973 I moved to Stanly County. There I met Whispering Pines' transitional style of barbecue and its sui generis slaw. (Also, I like the excuse to use "sui generis" in a discussion of pork.) But the real revelation was that one could eat red slaw with fish. I loved it. It's much coarser than the fine red slaw for Lexington barbecue. There are (or have been) a couple places around Concord and Salisbury (but with Stanly County roots) where you can get red slaw with seafood, if they are still there.

I can't find a red slaw in the grocery stores here. I guess I should learn to make it or stock up on my now infrequent trips to Shelby. I'm still more offended by having a white slaw with barbecue than I would be by the thought of a chablis with prime rib, but as we've said earlier, you learn to take what you can get.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:16 pm

I guess it was 1997 when my uncle in Atlanta invited me to go with them to Tybee Island. He said they would pick me up in Badin. I said I could drive down to Atlanta, but he said that everyone has an ulterior motive, and his was to eat barbecue.

So they picked me up on Monday, and we headed to Stamey's in Tyro, and then on to Atlanta. My uncle packed fishing poles to take to the beach, and I found out that it was for kite flying. After some nice meals in that area, we returned to Atlanta and they brought me home via Lexington, where we ate and then my uncle filled up a couple of coolers to take meat and slaw back for himself and to give to his son. He and I are pictured at the bottom of this page.

(Oh, and a place that we ate east of Savannah had an autographed picture of Brother Dave Gardner.)
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:13 pm

I'm glad you didn't say he was with you in the middle picture.

We have some excellent special event pig pickings. My barber goes to Flag Springs but he hasn't told me about any fund raisers there. The Livestock Association puts on a good feed at The Fall Festival and a few other occasions.

Next month we will have a barbecue event downtown in combination with bicycle criterion races. My office is inside the circuit the riders will follow.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:14 pm

stevelee wrote:(Oh, and a place that we ate east of Savannah had an autographed picture of Brother Dave Gardner.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffyike4t0yU
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:57 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
stevelee wrote:(Oh, and a place that we ate east of Savannah had an autographed picture of Brother Dave Gardner.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffyike4t0yU
One of my high school football teammates could do this routine (in it's 60s album version) verbatim.
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:13 am

I still refer to automatic transmission gears as Race and Leap. That routine was familiar to me before I had ever driven a car so equipped, perhaps before I got my license at all.

My HS senior year I drove a convertible in the homecoming parade with a member of the homecoming court perched in the back. I was originally assigned a sports car, an MG maybe. But there was some contorted rationale relating to who owned what car and whose girlfriend would ride where that led to my being asked to swap cars as part of the shuffle. Fine with me. So my first experience with automatic transmission was driving in the parade. I kept thinking about that routine as I tried to avoid doing anything sudden even at that low speed and toppling my passenger. To make matters worse a friend was some sort of clown in the parade, and he decided to stand in front of the car to do some fake thing of my hitting him or something. I was nearly stopped long before contact and ruined whatever effect he was trying for.

This also brings to mind the old story about the three Jewish brothers who invented auto air conditioning and their negotiations with Henry Ford.

All of which suggests that I've reached a level of free association that means I should be heading for bed now.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Mango-Chipotle Slaw

Shredded cabbage
Chopped mango
Chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce--1 or two tablespoons
Lime juice--a half lime or more to your taste
Tablespoon or so of mayo
Half to three quarters cup of milk
A little sugar

Mix the dressing ingredients well and pour over the other stuff. The proportions are variable to your taste. Play around with it. Good on fish tacos.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:51 pm

"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:Mango-Chipotle Slaw

Shredded cabbage
Chopped mango
Tablespoon or so of mayo
A little sugar

Mix the dressing ingredients well and pour over the other stuff. The proportions are variable to your taste. Play around with it. Good on fish tacos.
You had me at mango. You lost me at mayo.
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

wildcatadrian

Post by wildcatadrian » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Waitress wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:Mango-Chipotle Slaw

Shredded cabbage
Chopped mango
Tablespoon or so of mayo
A little sugar

You had me at mango. You lost me at mayo.
No offense, but I won't be trying any recipes from the "no limit on stupid" thread anytime soon......

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:54 pm

how many days until bb season?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:54 pm

catnhat wrote:I'm glad you didn't say he was with you in the middle picture.
In the 1900 census Mother's (and my uncle's) great-uncle Horace was listed as "Horse Lawman," so maybe that picture is of another relative.

Horse Lawman sounds like a good name for a character in a western dime novel.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Aunt Norma gave me a simple "barbecue" recipe: Put a small pork roast in a crock pot. Pour a whole bottle of barbecue sauce one it, and add some water if needed. Cook for a long time.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ