No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:01 am

Waitress wrote:
Airball50 wrote:She is young and alive. My libido is old and dead. So it goes.
Any word on Kilgore Trout or Kazak "The hound of Space"?

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:46 pm

i77cat wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1827 ... -grizzlies

I link this story for the comments. I heard a local sports talk guy today arguing that customers should get a refund if a superstar doesn't play. Another arguing that coaches should only be allowed to use a "healthy rest" on a player for home games, and that if they were allowed to rest a player for road games that the player should at least travel with the team and sign autographs.
Sitting players is a strange issue for me. I dont blame the coaches for doing it, all they should worry about is winning games and moving towards a title. But at the same time, those tickets are ridiculously expensive, and looking at attendance numbers you do get fans going to certain games because of who youre playing. If the hornets are playing the cavs or the warriors im expecting attendance and ticket prices are a lot higher than a game against the magic or nets. Then the team whos resting playing isnt trying their hardest to win, its not colluding to help the other team but in a playoff race that may come down to a game or two its rotten luck for a team that had to face the cavs with Lebron, Kryie, and Love compared to one where they all sat out. Id like the league to step in to dissuade it, but I dont know how theyd effectively do anything to stop it. At the very least when teams can just decide they arent going to try that hard to win a particular game it devalues the regular season a lot, which is one of many reasons why I love college basketball so much more than the NBA.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:57 pm

The best way is to what I've been advocating for years: drastically shorten the season. Cut it in half. Regular season NBA basketball is garbage. You get amazing performances by spectacular athletes. But there are many games where nobody notices who wins. Or cares. Kinda like figure skating. I watched the Warriors/Knicks play last night until the Warriors finally had an unassisted basket. Their first 24 came with assists. It was a curiosity, but the actual quality of the first part of the game was low.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:07 pm

i77cat wrote:The best way is to what I've been advocating for years: drastically shorten the season. Cut it in half. Regular season NBA basketball is garbage. You get amazing performances by spectacular athletes. But there are many games where nobody notices who wins. Or cares. Kinda like figure skating. I watched the Warriors/Knicks play last night until the Warriors finally had an unassisted basket. Their first 24 came with assists. It was a curiosity, but the actual quality of the first part of the game was low.
No way they would cut it in half. Us old farts aren't crazy about the 82 game schedule, but the young'ins love it.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:14 pm

i77cat wrote:The best way is to what I've been advocating for years: drastically shorten the season. Cut it in half. Regular season NBA basketball is garbage. You get amazing performances by spectacular athletes. But there are many games where nobody notices who wins. Or cares. Kinda like figure skating. I watched the Warriors/Knicks play last night until the Warriors finally had an unassisted basket. Their first 24 came with assists. It was a curiosity, but the actual quality of the first part of the game was low.
After the first 8 minutes I was hoping someone would come out and measure the diameter of the rims just to see if they would actually allow a basketball to pass through.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:19 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
No way they would cut it in half. Us old farts aren't crazy about the 82 game schedule, but the young'ins love it.
Right. And so the NBA is destined to stay crappy. There will be tons of games that no one cares about. Stars will continue to sit out occasional road games instead of traveling. The players are the ones who love the 82 game schedule. The average salary of an NBA player is expected to move to $9M with the new CBA. Players aren't about to flush any of that down the toilet in favor of a better sport for us to watch.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:19 pm

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:19 pm

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:34 am

My paraphrase of a quote from a character written by Robert A. Heinlein:

"Stupidity is the only universal crime. Punishment is automatic; there is no appeal, and no mercy."
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:39 am

WildCock wrote:My paraphrase of a quote from a character written by Robert A. Heinlein:

"Stupidity is the only universal crime. Punishment is automatic; there is no appeal, and no mercy."
I grok that.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:15 am

"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

nalotze

Post by nalotze » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:14 am

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:17 am

Is there something about this win that I'm missing to put it in this topic?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:26 am

stevelee wrote:
Is there something about this win that I'm missing to put it in this topic?
yes