No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:39 pm

Airball50 wrote:Hue and cry over "Nazi." Crickets about "Confederate." Disturbing.
Trolling does not become you.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:15 pm

My older brother played football for the Morehead High Black Panthers in the 60s. By the time I came along, I played for the Morehead High Fighting Panthers.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

CastleCat

Post by CastleCat » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:16 pm

Airball50 wrote:Big difference between denying historical fact and celebrating historical facts that should not be celebrated.
"Proud of the glory, stare down the shame
Duality of the Southern thing"
lovin' every minute of it

steveclark63

Post by steveclark63 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59 am

Dr. Bliss wrote:My older brother played football for the Morehead High Black Panthers in the 60s. By the time I came along, I played for the Morehead High Fighting Panthers.
Playing football for Winston-Salem's R. J. Reynolds High School in the late 1950s, we were the (all-white) Reynolds Black Demons. When the name changed I don't remember, but now the school's sports teams are the Reynolds Demons, and have been for many years. Go Demons!

Reynolds' football coach in the late 1950s and early 1960s was a Davidson grad, Shirley "Red" Wilson (Class of 1950), who later was head coach at Elon and Duke. Red Wilson was inducted into Davidson's Hall of Fame in 1991. Several of his Reynolds players went on to play football for Davidson, including Dick Voorhees, Britt Smith, Lyle Blalock and Steve Heckard, who also is in our HOF. I went on to become an all-star flickerball player for the Betas!!
“Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were.”
— Marcel Proust

TOK

Post by TOK » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:44 am

AndroCat wrote:
Airbal50 wrote:Substitute "Nazi" for "Confederate" and tell me if you would feel the same?
MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:The dreaded "Nazi" word. Is the KKK next? Jim Crow? Eugenics?

If we hurry we can use our stupid thread to solve these issues today ... once and for all!
And there it is! Godwin's Law again proves true!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
Thanks, this is hilarious!

TOK

Post by TOK » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:49 am

Dr. Bliss wrote:My older brother played football for the Morehead High Black Panthers in the 60s. By the time I came along, I played for the Morehead High Fighting Panthers.
Sadly, they probably aren't even "Fighting" Panthers now.

Last season I saw W&M play football at Elon. It would have be the Indians at the Fighting Christians, but alas, now it is the Tribe at the Phoenix.

Frankly, the only thing that offends me are the folks who are so easily offended! :wink:

bigcat

Post by bigcat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:44 am

stevelee wrote:
dorp wrote:
stevelee wrote:Political Correctness strikes again. http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive ... ll/495941/
There's a great market these days for the suddenly offended.
I'm already dreading December when Starbucks will persecute me again for my religion.
Take solace that you will suffer for only 1 more season and look forward to The Donald's great emancipation of American Christianity, when we can proclaim "Free at last, free at last, to say 'Merry Christmas' and enjoy a hot beverage from a cup adorned with a wreath or even a Wise Man"
Let's go Mens

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Or at lest a return of the snowflake on the cup.

We can fly our flag again, and call a spade a spade.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

bobc

Post by bobc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:07 pm

steveclark63 wrote:
Playing football for Winston-Salem's R. J. Reynolds High School in the late 1950s, we were the (all-white) Reynolds Black Demons. When the name changed I don't remember, but now the school's sports teams are the Reynolds Demons, and have been for many years. Go Demons!

Reynolds' football coach in the late 1950s and early 1960s was a Davidson grad, Shirley "Red" Wilson (Class of 1950), who later was head coach at Elon and Duke. Red Wilson was inducted into Davidson's Hall of Fame in 1991. Several of his Reynolds players went on to play football for Davidson, including Dick Voorhees, Britt Smith, Lyle Blalock and Steve Heckard, who also is in our HOF. I went on to become an all-star flickerball player for the Betas!!

And also a very good sports editor and writer for the Davidsonian, which helped lead to a very successful career with the Richmond newspapers.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:27 pm

TOK wrote:

Last season I saw W&M play football at Elon. It would have be the Indians at the Fighting Christians, but alas, now it is the Tribe at the Phoenix.

Frankly, the only thing that offends me are the folks who are so easily offended! :wink:
Did the Fighting Christians ever play against Lions? Headlines write themselves, even just posting the score such as Lions 14, Christians 0.

Many years at our Annual Conference (our equivalent of a diocesan assembly), we would pass resolutions decrying naming things after Native Americans, at our gathering at . . . Lake Junaluska. I'm not making this up.

Personally, I'm offended by the Vikings and the Celtics.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:19 pm

It's the Fighting Irish and the damn drunk belligerent leprechaun that makes me look for a safe space.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:07 pm

http://m.scmp.com/news/china/society/ar ... stop-eight
Two women in Northwest China fainted from exhaustion after quarrelling with each other for eight hours without eating or drinking, according to local media reports.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:38 pm

stevelee wrote:
TOK wrote:

Did the Fighting Christians ever play against Lions? Headlines write themselves, even just posting the score such as Lions 14, Christians 0.
Just north of Clemson, in Central, SC, reside the Daniel HS Lions. I am surprised that this team name has survived, for a number of reasons.

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:26 am

raptorcat wrote: Oh, Geez, here we go again. We gotta give this a rest. What will be next? Removing Thomas Jefferson from the currency and renaming the Jefferson Memorial because he was a slaveholder?
There is a very important difference. The Jefferson memorial was not created to specifically memorialize how fervently he was willing to fight to keep his slaves.

Sorry, I don't mean to drudge up arguments that are dead. But, this is a very important nuance in my mind and I haven't been on the site in a while.

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:45 am

The majority of Confederate soldiers who were killed in the war owned no slaves and their families owned no slaves. In the Confederate states various accounts indicate about 20-30% (average) of families owned slaves. It's the old story of a war started by rich men and politicians from a particular party and fought by poor young men and boys. It has never been too hard to gin up hatred against Damn Yankees and it wasn't in 1860. And institution of a draft in the Confederacy really boosted "volunteerism" to the cause.

If we don't want to honor any of these soldiers at least we should get the history correct as to who they were. Most of the Confederate men and boys were not fighting with the idea keeping their slaves or their family's slaves.

If we want to show our hatred of slavery why dredge up history from 150 years ago? There are many times more people enslaved around the world today than there were in 1860 ... millions and millions more. I don't see a massive abolitionist fervor among our PC/globalist universities and colleges.