Strategic plan for Davidson athletics

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:49 pm

stevelee wrote:
citycat wrote:This is interesting. If someone gave $100,000 to endow a scholarship in the late '70s when tuition and board were about $5,000, there should be an endowed scholarship now.

That $100,000 should have increased to about $1,800,000 with the growth in the stock market.
Obviously someone should travel back in time and make some big endowment contributions.

Something I saw recently told me that they are (or at least were not long ago) using $1.5M as the rule of thumb for funding a scholarship. Maybe they still let you name one for an initial $1M as they did with the Maloy scholarship. I know they continued to raise funding for it after they had enough to name it, because I recall sending in another check.
Should only be $1,250,000
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:27 pm

We had some volleyball scholarships that began when we started volleyball as a varsity sport. They were basketball scholarships that were switched to volleyball. Lavetta Dawkins was a scholarship hoopster and then a scholarship volleyball player for DU. Those scholarships were not endowed. Just a feeble stab to be compliant with Title IX.

I was sitting in a Development person's office a few years ago when a wealthy parent of a Davidson soccer player and a field hockey player called. The parent was endowing a scholarship in each sport and paying his kids' tuition and fees at the same time. He was sending two huge checks. He was endowing the scholarships over the 4 years each of his kids was in school. His kids were receiving the scholarships while they were in in school. We have, or used to have, some endowed scholarships in minor sports.

Back in the '70s, when NC Presbyterians were rich and had a connection to Davidson, we missed the chance to go to the Presbyterian churches in NC and raise money for scholarships for Presbyterian kids to come to Davidson. Wake did that for Baptist kids from NC. A lot of decent minor sports kids are Presbyterian. Or could become one. (See the Parable of the Workers in the Field.)

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:53 pm

Funding a scholarship for your own kids doesn't sound legal, at least not for a tax deduction.

Supporting a scholarship for just four years is not my idea of endowing a scholarship.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:06 pm

They were endowed scholarships, meaning he gave enough for his kids to attend DU and for there to be a scholarship for each sport in perpetuity for other student athletes.

There should be one full scholarship in men's soccer and field hockey due to that family's efforts. This family was wealthy and generous.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:01 am

Oh. I misunderstood you.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:16 am

stevelee wrote:Funding a scholarship for your own kids doesn't sound legal, at least not for a tax deduction.

Supporting a scholarship for just four years is not my idea of endowing a scholarship.
Though CityCat has already clarified, it's worth pointing out that the IRS has a really big problem with a situation in which a donor directs the recipients of his or her philanthropy too specifically. Yes, you can ask for a scholarship to go toward a given project or effort; no, you may not limit it so much that its only application happens to be to the benefit of anyone you know.

In all honesty, the first time I read CityCat's post, my heart skipped a few beats. We'd be in a lot of trouble.
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:36 am

10.3% of freshmen get athletic aid. Scroll down http://www.davidson.edu/admission-and-f ... 20-profile
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:03 am

stevelee wrote:10.3% of freshmen get athletic aid. Scroll down http://www.davidson.edu/admission-and-f ... 20-profile
18% of the freshman class only receive 21% of the athletic aid that they should be.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:34 am

I don't dispute that, and might not even if I understood it. I did better when Susan and Peter were given the sum and product of two mystery numbers.

Even the raw figure of 10.3% sounds large considering that supposedly none of the football players would be counted. Maybe that's not a safe assumption. And it sounds large considering how underfunded most sports are, even if there are baseball players, etc., on 1/6 scholarships or whatever the minimum that can be who are counted as whole people. Is this a typical percentage for entering classes, or are we somehow ramping up this class, even if woefully inadequately? Would half the student body be on some sort of athletic scholarship if everything were fully funded?

I got an email response this morning from the musician in CA who devised the tuning system that sounded so wonderful in the concert at DCPC yesterday, so I'll spend my mathematical efforts today in figuring out the charts he graciously sent.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:11 pm

It looks like 54 freshmen are receiving the equivalent of 13 full rides.

Over 4 years that would be 216 students dividing 52 full rides.

Basketball gets 26 full rides so the other 190 athletes are splitting 26 full rides.

That does not include the other 200+ who play sports but get no athletic scholarship aid.

It's amazing we win any games!

If we were to add the equivalent of 2 full rides a year for the next 20 years we still won't be giving 100 full rides- which is still less than 50% of the NCAA max schollies in the sports we already play.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:49 am

It's pretty evident that we are short depth and short impact players because we are short scholarships. And I agree, it's a miracle that we win as much as we do (which, frankly isn't very much when you exclude men's basketball).
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:09 pm

The fundraising report says 213 student athletes benefitted from 101 scholarships. I don't think all 101 are fully funded.

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:39 pm

catnhat wrote:The fundraising report says 213 student athletes benefitted from 101 scholarships. I don't think all 101 are fully funded.
Not even close. My guess is that less than 35 athletes are on full athletic scholarship.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 am

Have any of our teams received any additional money yet?

Word has it that little if any schollie money has trickled down to the teams yet.

I think someone from the college, can't remember who, mentioned at a presser that we would definitely raise scholarship levels in each sport to the A-10 average. Question is - when are we going to start doing that?
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis