In Game: vs UMASS

2018 A10 Champions!
citycat

Re: In Game: vs UMASS

Post by citycat » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:28 am

There was a UMass possession late in the second half where they had to inbound the ball from the corner in front of their bench with 1 second on the shot clock. They threw it to a shooter who missed, but hit the rim. They got the rebound and scored after we had to play another 10-15 seconds of defense.

A possession like that is demoralizing and and exhausting.

Logan and Bailey are out at the 3 point line too often, as TOK said. Neither is a decent 3 point shooter. The opponents can leave them alone. They can't get a rebound from there.

Our defense has improved the last few games because Logan is playing more. He blocks shots and bothers shooters. He doesn't score much, but he contributes.

We are poor rebounders and don't battle for loose balls. We block out, but no one jumps to grab the rebound. There were a couple of UMass missed shots that hit the floor in the middle of some Wildcats staring at them.

There's a senior at Grimsley High, Richard Goods, who's 6'9" and averages 20 points 15 rebounds, and 4-5 blocks a game. We sign public school kids from NC as often as Davidson recruited abolitionists from Mississippi in the 1850s, but there's the exception that proves the rule. Furman is supposedly interested in him.

Grimsley plays at Lake Norman High Tuesday night.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:21 pm

What a great name: Goods. As in, "He's got the _______."

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:11 pm

Simple boxing out, could have changed the result.

Splinter Faction

Post by Splinter Faction » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:10 pm

Thanks for the comments, MrMac and Ursa. I knew a late post at the end of a game thread would have a limited audience, but that's what I had.

seamac77, I did not know you were a Paul Thorn fan. I like that guy a lot. Great combination of good ole boy fun plus a serious view of life. If anyone else reads this, note that you can get a good taste for his live performances on Youtube. Too blessed to be stressed.
"I try to represent the un-sloppy way as much as I can." (Coach)

"Whatever is preserved grows enigmatic; time, and the pressures of interpretation . . . will see to that." (Frank Kermode)

"as allways, immage is everything" (graveline)

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:20 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:19 pm
As an earlier poster stated, I too was impressed. Matt and staff have totally revamped the team post David Skogman’s truly unfortunate injury. In addition, our defensive intensity, and execution, has improved dramatically. I don’t think a Davidson team in the past fifteen years has played defense as intensely and effectively as this team. Yes, we still make mental errors and, of course, miss free throws and we don’t always block out. However, the trajectory is clear, at least to me. Have you noticed that Matt is purposely lengthening the bench in a way that should benefit the team next year, and beyond. If recruiting comes through, as I hope, then I have little doubt that Matt McKillop & Company will be very successful here. Chill gents. The future looks bright.
Should be Davidson basketball— not “Matt McKillop & Company.”

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:09 pm

It's going to be Matt's program for a long time. We're fortunate to have him. I'm not certain how bright the future is. Too much has changed too quickly.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:41 pm

Splinter Faction wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:10 pm
Thanks for the comments, MrMac and Ursa. I knew a late post at the end of a game thread would have a limited audience, but that's what I had.

seamac77, I did not know you were a Paul Thorn fan. I like that guy a lot. Great combination of good ole boy fun plus a serious view of life. If anyone else reads this, note that you can get a good taste for his live performances on Youtube. Too blessed to be stressed.
Paul Thorn prior to his music career may be of interest to viewers too ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9BTiwGQfXI
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:57 pm

Didn't see that coming.

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:26 pm

After watching the replay:

Connor was great until the last eight seconds. His forced airball was luckily rescued by Sean. After Sean missed the front end, Connor get the long back rim rebound but had his layup blocked. The guy who blocked it (Duggins (sp?) I think) then threw it back inbounds over his head, having no idea where the ball was going. Any luck and it goes back to one of our guys, but that's not the kind of season it's been.

Grant's pass with 48 secs or so took Reed under the basket. Reed made a good save of it to Connor, who couldn't hang on. While the turnover was given to Reed, it was very poor decision by Grant to throw that pass. We didn't need it. Like Connor, Grant played superbly until the last minute.

Sean was great on the defensive end, but we recovered only one his blocks, if memory serves (one was called a jump ball). The one we did recover was by Grant with under a minute left. That's when he threw the long pass to a breaking Reed that began the disastrous chain of events. The pass on the subsequent offensive possession when we were up one, by Grant, was worse than I initially thought.

After the second turnover Sean committed a very bad foul in the backcourt. A smart play by Cross to force the contact, but Sean can't allow that to happen.

Reed failed miserably in his block out responsibilities on two occasions-on the shot with one second left on the clock and on a missed FT where he was beaten to the ball by Hankins-Sanford.

The TV color guy, Tim McCormick, was very good, and very complimentary of our offense and defense and preparation. Everything. We had a great comeback in the second half. And then we threw it all away.

You have to feel for this team. If we'd pulled out some earlier close games, this one wouldn't feel so bad. I think they showed a stat during the game which said we were tied for the NCAA lead in both games decided by less than five points as well as the number of losses in such games. So now we lead the nation.
Last edited by bagelcat on Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CatsRom

Post by CatsRom » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:14 am

My heart breaks for this team. They are not good enough shooting from distance, which has made it all but impossible to create any separation on the scoreboard in meaningful conference games. But as I have attended every game at Belk this year I have been so impressed with this team's effort and "want to", even in a season that they cannot catch a break and have lost games in soul crushing manners. I know Matt must be feeling somewhat defeated, but I have confidence that he will become obsessed with making this team better at the margins that many of these close loses will become wins. I like many of you am curious to see the transfer portal plan revelated. A PG feels like a major need.

I have a theory on these late game offensive mishaps and loses as well. 1) this team is not good shooting from distance obviously. But more importantly 2) they do not have a single player capable of taking a jumper off the dribble. This creates late game situations where we have no choice but to get all the way to the rim, we try to make tough passes and contested drives, and in those critical moments where defenses really lock down and whistles become harder to get, we do not have a safety valve where we can throw it to someone on the perimeter that they trust to work around a screen and get into a 15-18 ft jumper. This player the past fews seasons was Foster loyer, when in doubt he could get into an elbow extended jumper to at least get an okay attempt off. In short our limitations shooting and shooting off the dribble for us to take more risk and turn more late game possessions into not even getting a shot up, which obviously causes late game failure....thoughts?

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:47 pm

Very good analysis, CatRom.
I would change just one thing: Matt is already obsessed.
Obsession only gets you so far.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:18 pm

CatsRom wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:14 am
2) they do not have a single player capable of taking a jumper off the dribble. ....thoughts?
I think Bobby has that ability.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:15 pm

bagelcat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:47 pm
Very good analysis, CatRom.
I would change just one thing: Matt is already obsessed.
Obsession only gets you so far.
[/
quote]

Truth. Now, compulsion, that's a different story...

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:18 pm

Waitress wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:18 pm
CatsRom wrote:
2) they do not have a single player capable of taking a jumper off the dribble. ....thoughts?
I agree.

Once Durkin became a starter his usage and effectiveness actually declined. It seems like he may view himself as a third or fourth option when he's on the floor with Reed, Connor, Grant, and doesn't hunt shots, but is also willing to fling up prayers after others play hot potato with the ball when the shot clock is running down.

I think if he puts his mind into shooting and scoring he could be at least as good as Lee.

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:31 pm

quickcat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:18 pm
Waitress wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:18 pm
CatsRom wrote:
I agree.

Once Durkin became a starter his usage and effectiveness actually declined. It seems like he may view himself as a third or fourth option when he's on the floor with Reed, Connor, Grant, and doesn't hunt shots, but is also willing to fling up prayers after others play hot potato with the ball when the shot clock is running down.

I think if he puts his mind into shooting and scoring he could be at least as good as Lee.
Regarding Durkin, he got easier looks in the beginning of the season. A book wasnt out on him that early and the competition was not as good for the most part. Freshman tend to wear out, the intensity of every possession is a lot different than high school. As you mentioned he is the 3 or 4 option and gets bad looks as the clock is winding down. He would benefit if the ball was pushed up court via passing vs one guy dribbling it up all the way. That said he has shown some different moves lately.
My question is, why not put him at the top of the key ala Skogman? Bailey has improved his outside shooting but teams let him alone when he has the ball on top of the key.