In Game: vs. La Salle

2018 A10 Champions!
raptorcat

Re: In Game: vs. La Salle

Post by raptorcat » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:03 pm

Pitiful crowd tonight. After the game, I told one of the ushers that when I was a student, we showed up in big numbers and packed Johnston Gym every home game, even though the team put up terrible records every year I was there (1974-1978).

Next season, I am giving up my season tickets and will do like i77 does. The athletic department needs to improve the arener's atmosphere in every aspect. I have been to two of High Point University's home games this season, and it is a spectacle of over-the-top showmanship, much like a mini-NBA arena. It seats only 4200 but is usually standing room only, with a great band and drum line, plus a lovely and talented dancing team. The only thing it lacks is Nido Qubein being shot out of a cannon. I could do without all the distracting folderol, but at least the graphics on the jumbo screen are up-to-the-second, stats-wise. And the student sections are insanely enthusiastic.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:27 pm

It isn't impossible. We won't do it.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:39 pm

bagelcat wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:01 pm
The student "turnout" begs the question of whether this schools deserves to have a D1 team, never mind a winning team.

Fortunately the coaches and players won't be deterred, except possibly in the recruiting process.
At the start of the game, the pep "band" consisted of a director, a drummer (who is quite good), a flute, an alto sax (who was out of tune), a bass clarinet, a keyboard, and a tambourine. No brass. Their corner of the arena is maybe 50 feet from my seats, and WP and I could barely hear them. After halftime they added a trumpet, a trombone, and either a cowbell or a wood block. I'm not being critical of those kids. They were there, and they were trying. It was just a glaring example of the lack of student support.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:04 am

Before the game, a tall athletic young guy walked in through the lower exit and went to the Will Call window. I thought he was a former LaSalle player. My wife thought he was a former Davidson player.

During the game, we spotted him sitting in one of the first rows facing the Davidson bench. Seeing his profile, he looked like Frank Ben-Eze to me.

Did anyone else see him at the game tonight?

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:41 am

MrMac wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:33 pm
Reed with a double-double. Several rebounds were his own misses.
Reed was a warrior and should have scored 30 tonight. He missed at least 6 shots within 2 feet of the hoop.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:49 am

citycat wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:04 am
Before the game, a tall athletic young guy walked in through the lower exit and went to the Will Call window. I thought he was a former LaSalle player. My wife thought he was a former Davidson player.

During the game, we spotted him sitting in one of the first rows facing the Davidson bench. Seeing his profile, he looked like Frank Ben-Eze to me.

Did anyone else see him at the game tonight?
Nathan Ekwu.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:26 am

I didn’t see him.

Gerdy was there. Mike Mann and Floyd and Barbara Strand were still here.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:43 am

stevelee wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:26 am
I didn’t see him.

Gerdy was there. Mike Mann and Floyd and Barbara Strand were still here.
Maybe we should hire Gerdy as a shooting coach. I do not remember him missing much and I think his era was pre 3 point shot.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

dorp

Post by dorp » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:03 pm

raptorcat wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:03 pm
a lovely and talented dancing team.
JAM1 agrees.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:50 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:43 am
Maybe we should hire Gerdy as a shooting coach. I do not remember him missing much and I think his era was pre 3 point shot.
We have Jack Gibbs on the staff.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:20 pm

stevelee wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:50 pm
85Wildcatsky wrote:
There are a handful of shots I witnessed that made vivid memories. Jack Gibbs' three-pointer at the end of our inaugural A-10 season game at Rhode Island was one of them. Grit, guts, and a little bit of luck, and he stunned their arena into silence. It was fantastic.

Look, I know y'all feel like you're a little bit in the wilderness (happy Lent, by the way), but remember you WON THE GAME.

The magic--and the joy--will come back.
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

loosha's lad

Post by loosha's lad » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:49 pm

[/quote]

There are a handful of shots I witnessed that made vivid memories. Jack Gibbs' three-pointer at the end of our inaugural A-10 season game at Rhode Island was one of them.
[/quote]

I think you and I might have been shoulder to shoulder in the stands for that one. What a moment.

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:22 pm

stevelee wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:50 pm
85Wildcatsky wrote:
#7 on the all-time 3 point %age list at Davidson, right behind Hyunjung Lee and only a couple of points behind Steph Curry: Matt McKillop.

TOK

Post by TOK » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:49 pm

Because of the victory, Davidson is offering me two free tickets to the game against Fordham, since I bought a ticket for my wife to attend the games over the holidays when students were out.

So I paid $10 for tickets to two games, and now they want to give me two free tickets for the Fordham game. Really glad that I gave up my second season ticket this year.

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:56 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Yes, the Gerd played before the three-point era. If he'd had the benefit of the three-point line, he would still be the all-time leading scorer. Most of his shots were from 'way out there. I know it's been over 40 years and my memories are sepia-toned with nostalgia, but many of his shots were from beyond the NBA line.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"