In Game: vs. La Salle

2018 A10 Champions!
Acorn

Re: In Game: vs. La Salle

Post by Acorn » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:38 pm

I still see an incongruity between October/November scoffing at predictions/concerns of a season in which the Cats have a losing A10 record and are near the bottom of the conference and February scoffing at disappointment in those results.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:06 pm

For someone who got a scholarship from his Dad, got a job at Emory through his Dad, got hired at Davidson by his Dad, got promoted by his Dad, and got the head coaching job without a competitive search because of his Dad, Matt is doing fine.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:18 pm

I don't think we have a coaching problem. The landscape has changed, Davidson doesn't do change, and the College has never been particularly committed to athletic excellence.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:02 pm

The college will make adjustments. It would be absurd not to, and a dereliction of duty to the student-athletes.
Esse Quam Videri

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:12 pm

The College is very resistant to change and moves at a glacial pace. We can hope that it'll be different this time, but don't bet on it.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

graveline

Post by graveline » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:18 pm

The world changed. I miss the socon, but it’s a socon that doesn’t exist any more. We took our lightening in a bottle to bootstrap our way up. Our friends to the north on I-77 missed their opportunity, and are still paying the price.
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:21 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:04 pm
So we’ve been relegated to giving away free seats to attract a decent crowd? Sad, just sad.
Illinois does that when they aren’t having a good season, and for pre-conference schedule. I’m sure most schools do that except for the bluest blue chip schools.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

citycat

Post by citycat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:49 pm

graveline wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:18 pm
The world changed. I miss the socon, but it’s a socon that doesn’t exist any more. We took our lightening in a bottle to bootstrap our way up. Our friends to the north on I-77 missed their opportunity, and are still paying the price.
MIT?, Radford?, University of Charleston?, Ohio U? Akron?, Cleveland State?

Who else is to the North on 77?

Radford is playing Winthrop on ESPNU as I type.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:52 pm

mccabemi wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:06 pm
For someone who got a scholarship from his Dad, got a job at Emory through his Dad, got hired at Davidson by his Dad, got promoted by his Dad, and got the head coaching job without a competitive search because of his Dad, Matt is doing fine.
Always knew his dad was super intelligent.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:17 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:52 pm
mccabemi wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:06 pm
Always knew his dad was super intelligent.
Matt did earn a degree from Davidson College, and that is something special.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:43 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:11 pm
CollegeCoach, Just to clarify, I'm not knocking Matt and his staff. I already said I think they are good coaches. My point is simply that, as you point out, the landscape has changed pretty dramatically, so Davidson needs to make some adjustments to remain competitive. It's not necessary to go all in on NIL, just to make sure you can offer $100-$150k to attract a portal player that fits here when needed. In the past, we fortunately got our fair share of such recruits. Now, those same guys will be hard pressed to turn down that type of money from our competitors. We just need to level the playing field a little.
To Collegecoach's point....I don't think you starting every post with "Matt and his staff are good coaches" and then being negative about the team, etc. really qualifies as you supporting what they are doing. Just saying.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:04 pm

TiredCat88,

I’ve been attending Davidson games for over thirty years, twenty five of those as a double season ticket holder, and have a history in Davidson going back to the mid-70’s. I also helped persuade Coach Hussey to purchase three hydraulic basketball goals for the school back in the late 80’s (Hydra-Rib).

Maybe I haven’t been clear though. I think the coaching staff and the players are both a definite cut above, as is the program. However, it is abundantly clear to anyone paying attention that we need to make some institutional adjustments in order to remain competitive on the recruiting trail. That’s all I’m trying to say. GO CATS!
Esse Quam Videri

dorp

Post by dorp » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:08 pm

I'm too lazy to quote pieces of posts, but...
I got yelled at by a grumpy old man for booing loudly at the game on Saturday. Specifically, they called Grant for a carry and ignored the GMU player doing the same thing on the very next possession.
Davidson is slow to change, but apparently the student body has.
Does Davidson even have fraternities anymore?
Lots of schools have student sections where the seats go all the way down to the court level. Davidson does not. There are no lower level student seats with a side court view.

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:10 pm

You bet they do..

Author: Hank Lee
Published: 10:48 AM EST February 8, 2024
Updated: 12:31 PM EST February 8, 2024
Facebook
DAVIDSON, N.C. — The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity at Davidson College is suspended for five years after the chapter admitted that it engaged in hazing of new members during the spring 2023 semester, Davidson officials confirmed.

According to a statement from a Davidson College spokesperson, the fraternity appealed an outcome handed down by the college's accountability process. The appeals process confirmed the earlier findings and concluded at the end of the most recent fall semester.
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:13 pm

(trying to avoid making a bad pun using “specious”)
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ