In Game: vs. Richmond

2018 A10 Champions!
MrMac

Re: In Game: vs. Richmond

Post by MrMac » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:06 pm

Some of those warm feelings that I have for out players may be lessened in a world where they are more likely to transfer out after a year or two. It is passing strange to me that the NBA may actually have more control over player movement than the NCAA does at this point. Chaos.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:53 pm

I personally hate what NIL is doing to college sports, however, it is with us and is likely to stay. CJ Stroud, rookie sensation QB for the Houston Texans, just announced a significant donation to Ohio State’s NIL collective today. I think we need Steph to do the same. The money and the publicity would do wonders for our beloved Wildcat program. It would also make Matt’s job a lot easier.
Esse Quam Videri

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:19 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:53 pm
I personally hate what NIL is doing to college sports, however, it is with us and is likely to stay. CJ Stroud, rookie sensation QB for the Houston Texans, just announced a significant donation to Ohio State’s NIL collective today. I think we need Steph to do the same. The money and the publicity would do wonders for our beloved Wildcat program. It would also make Matt’s job a lot easier.
Makes sense to me.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:26 pm

Steph can do what he wants with his money, but I can think of a lot of things that would have a (much) higher expected value for good in the world.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:34 pm

Acorn wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:26 pm
Steph can do what he wants with his money, but I can think of a lot of things that would have a (much) higher expected value for good in the world.
I’m sure Steph will continue to do more life changing ventures.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:43 pm

ScootCat wrote:
OK. Who wants to call him?

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:31 am

MLC67 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:56 am
Dear Formerly Freehold: relaxing admission standards is not the answer to high quality bb for several reasons. Foremost among them is the immutable fact that DC is not a business. Moreover, are you advocating a less rigorous academic program for those admitted pursuant to this two tiered admissions process? Finally, do you announce this special athletics admissions to thereby stigmatize the recipients thereof, or do you conduct it on a wholly confidential basis. Any one of these three admission tenets disqualify us as being Camelot. All three together would make Larry Brown still our head coach. Davidson exists to educate young minds for humane lives of leadership and service, not to facilitate basketball players to get to the NBA.
This was exactly the reply I was hoping for--thank you. I don't think it's helpful for me (of all people) to tie myself to Davidson's mission among you all, but so long as places like Davidson exist, I am hopeful they frequently remember why they exist and what they're there to do.

We're clearly not having this discussion about NFL-level players for Davidson's football program. And for good reason. Somehow it still seems on the verge of sanity to consider Davidson knocking off power conference opponents in men's basketball, but I worry such an idea won't be plausible much longer. And I hate that.

I have no need to chase down any rabbit holes, but right now higher education needs colleges and universities to figure out what really matters and stick to those guns. The modern funny business of revenue generating sports programs is weakening any cogent argument that higher education is necessary or worth paying for.
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:37 am

i77cat wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:23 pm
Got to reach higher than that. We haven't won an NCAA tournament game since 2008. The talent level of the last 15 years hasn't been enough to accomplish that goal. We have to find better players.
We have had the opportunity to win NCAA games and had more than enough talent. The game against M******** and the game against Mich State could have gone our way easily.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:23 am

But they didn't. We were good enough to barely lose. That's not good enough. In my 50 years of fanhood, we've won NCAA tournament games in a single span of 10 days. And put two players into the NBA. Both have championship rings, so that's pretty cool.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 pm

MLC67 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:57 pm
Okay then, what are these several admission tiers - male, female and non-binary?
I don't know exactly what CC was referring to, but my guess is that it was regarding athletes, etc. It would be crazy to assume we don't tier athletically. We know that athletes are admitted with different academic standards than the rest of the student body. I'm sure basketball student-athletes at Davidson are viewed differently during the admission process than others. Most likely true for all of our athletic teams. This is probably true for minorities as well.

Assuming they all fall in a window that provides the opportunity to graduate on time with the same academic rigor as their classmates, I am fine with this. To think that if these same student-athletes and other groups would be admitted with a blind admission process would be crazy. So yes, Davidson has a tiered admission process.

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:59 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:19 pm
ScootCat wrote:
Makes sense to me.
Not to me. I would prefer Davidson to sit out of this current "Athletic monetary feeding frenzy" I can't see NIL money to be a sustainable option for college sports. Likewise, I don't see legitimate academic institutions embracing this model either. The super conferences are going to force members to eventually pay a ridiculous amount of money per roster or many teams are going to settle for a parity like results. NCAA basketball and football could become horrible extensions of NFL and NBA leagues with an unwatchable regular season and borish playoffs with too many average teams.

I personally have no desire to hook my interest on players who play for 3 teams in five years. I see no student-athlete relationship with a DB who goes out on the portal to get 1.5 million while a number of students are working 2 jobs to help pay tuition. If current conditions remain the same I would be more interested in Davidson, the Ivies, and other high Academic schools to break away from this level of athletics and drop the facade of competing at this top level.

The guard who just beat us from Richmond has played for 3 teams in the last couple of years. What tie does he have to Richmond or are we now just forming glorified YMCA pickup teams?
Last edited by 85Wildcatsky on Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:40 pm

You certainly make some good points. One of the reasons I've loved following Davidson basketball so much is because of the player continuity. I have really enjoyed watching players develop over their four years in the program. However, I doubt I will enjoy it as much if we become mediocre or worse. Regarding joining a conference with Ivy League-type schools that more or less stiff-arm NIL, I'd be open to that. Under such a scenario, I believe we'd have a real shot at earning an NCAA bid on a pretty consistent basis. GO CATS!
Esse Quam Videri

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:50 pm

I don’t believe that there is any kind of rigid tier system that singles out athletes for admission despite not meeting academic admission standards. The reason for this belief is that our school does not have a single bright line test of an A average in high school or 1500 SAT score. Instead, Davidson evaluates the applicant’s entire portfolio to evaluate his or her merits within the framework of prior academic achievement. For example, I was admitted in 1967 with three non-academic characteristics that I believe carried the day on an academic record below many others. First, I lived in New Jersey giving the college a non-southern student. Next, I was the President of the Student Council, and thirdly, I was given a glowing recommendation from the Presbyterian minister of my church. So while I was not a tuba player or a basketball recruit (as you all know I walked on for 45 minutes), my attributes as a whole person allowed me to make the cut. And that road taken by Camelot has made all the difference.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:21 pm

Getting back to Richmond, I just watched the replay of the second half.

I will watch overtime later, but I know how that turned out.

Skogman makes a three to put us three ahead, I think with about 1:30 left. Then we give up an immediate three to Bigelow, not ten seconds later.
Durkin did not make a good close out.

Brizzi drives to put us ahead, one of two great drives Brizzi made (yes, the missed FTs and the critical turnover in OT with Durkin standing open the corner to tie the game). We get a stop. The Grant layup on the left side of the rim was IN THE BASKET. As was the Skogman tip. Then Grant makes a bad foul on King, who makes two (good call, btw). Grant played great but had one reckless drive (he's allowed) and one bad turnover when he threw a bounce pass off the end line.

The Hunter shot with 1.2 secs left was not as close as I thought. Squarely off the back rim.

So on consecuitve Saturdays we lost games in which we were up 3 with the ball with 40 secs left and up 2 with the ball with 40 secs left. Just crushing. I hope the players are more resililient than I am. I trust that they are.

Skogman was great v. Richmond. He deserved better.
Last edited by bagelcat on Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:17 pm

Excellent Bagel-nalysis.