wildforthecats

Re: NIL: An Example

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:05 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:06 am
ScootCat wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:38 am
Can’t read the NIL article. Paywall.
If you are accessing DavidsonCats.com through Google Chrome browser, just clicking on a hyperlink in a dcats.com post will usually not penetrate a paywall. However, you can get around a lot of paywalls if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser. Copy the hyperlink from the post, open the Mozilla Firefox home page (I use Google Search as my home page for both Chrome and Firefox), click on the 3 horizontal bars on the top right, choose "New private window," then paste the URL for the paywalled site into the address bar of whatever search engine you are using. Waitress posted this several weeks ago, and it has worked for me at least half the time.

A few unsolicited tips from someone who has been successfully retired for 6 years.
1. Ask MrsMac for a comprehensive Honey Do list in order of their importance to her, then set to work on it. Don't ask for any explanations.
2. Walk around your entire house and yard, making a list of do-it-yourself home repair/improvement projects, then set to work on it.
3. Take MrsMac out for lunch frequently, because you can, and it's cheaper and a lot easier to schedule than dinner.
4. Cooking earns the most brownie points per hour. I have a lot of recipes on my computer and am happy to share.
5. House cleaning is also good for brownie points, but not as good as cooking.
6. Start planning a nice trip. I highly recommend a Viking river cruise.
7. Find a new hobby, preferably one that involves physical activity. Pickleball seems to be the thing right now, but several of us on this board would highly recommend fly fishing. I or Dr. Bliss would be happy to get you started.
8. Avoid joining all of the organizations that will invite you to participate "now that you're retired."
9. Get to know stevelee. He is a great source of information on all things "leisure time," such as travel, cameras and travel photography, music and nearby performances, places to find German food (or most any other cuisine, for that matter) in any location you might find yourself, and undoubtedly a lot more things that I don't know about. Those are just the things I have personally consulted him about. He is not, however, a fly fisherman.
10. Take naps whenever you feel like it.
10a. Get a good recliner and a hammock.
11. Wordle
12. Go ahead and schedule that colonoscopy.

#13 - IT expert

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:00 pm

Waitress wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:33 pm
ScootCat wrote:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... l=en&gl=us
I read it, and came away feeling vaguely nauseous.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:09 pm

raptorcat wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:00 pm
Waitress wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:33 pm
ScootCat wrote:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... l=en&gl=us
I read it, and came away feeling vaguely nauseous.
I read this and listened to the podcast from the other thread. Wow. This might be a good time to start backing away from emotional attachment to college sports. This is chaos. It will shake out at some point, but right now it is just chaos.

An opportunity for lawyers to find things to sue about though!

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:04 pm

Now when we talk about a player's "college career" we're talking about his life's work.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ol-7-years
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:33 pm

graveline

Post by graveline » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:46 am

The whole thing reminds me of my profesional conundrum
Right now NC elects judges, which mean the general population is down ballot voting on people who 99% of the time they have no idea if they are qualified/competent for the job
Of course, the alternative has always been governors appointment, aka a partisan giveaway based on cronyism and nepotism

No right mined person (a loaded phrase in these contentious times) could look at the old NCAA where schools (and the NCAA itself) got millions and players got (a revokable) scholarship or where a coach could jump team to team backing out on any commitment while players were tethered and felt good about it. Just the rank hypocrisy of the “student-athlete” sham was enough to make you want to throw a molatov cocktail on the whole thing.
But like pissing yourself when you really have to go, the relief is short lived and new problems are just as bad
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:13 pm

And a round and round we go, where it stops nobody knows
Esse Quam Videri

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:34 pm

I laughed out loud when I read graveline’s post above. Then I read this article https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... y-athletes

Wherein the president and chairman of the NCAA both say that they are looking to Congress to solve the problem:

"I think we need to keep the focus on where it should be, which is on Washington, D.C.," Morehead said. "Congress has the opportunity right now to do some things right now to help stabilize the collegiate environment."

I laughed until I cried 😂

dorp

Post by dorp » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:43 pm

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:12 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Yes, you can. Open Mozilla Firefox as your browser. Click on the 3 horizontal lines on the top right of the address line, scroll to "New private window" and click on that. Once the new private window opens, copy and paste the URL for the article into the address line, and it will open. This has worked for me with most, but not all, of the paywalled sites that have been posted on dcats.com. It works for this one. I've tried using the Incognito window that Chrome offers, as well as the InPrivate window with Microsoft Edge, but I haven't gotten either of those to work.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

dorp

Post by dorp » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:53 pm

https://x.com/thefieldof68/status/17583 ... osE607eA7g
This may belong in the recruiting thread. Or the NLOS one. But we’ll put it here.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:02 pm

Sad state of affairs, but shows why Davidson will continue to be at a competitive disadvantage unless they make a reasonable effort to boost the coffers of its NIL collective(s). Hey Steph, A little help please. 💰
Esse Quam Videri

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:32 pm

When I want to watch pro basketball, I can watch the NBA. There are games all the time on cable channels.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ