Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:02 pm

One of our assistant coaches left to become an assistant at Vanderbilt. He was assigned to monitor the academic progress and test scores of one of their recruits. The recruit was taking the ACT. When the assistant coach received the kid's score, he was worried. It was way below what Davidson needed to see from a recruit.

At a coaches' meeting they asked the coach what the kid's score was. The assistant told them. The head coach and other assistants were happy. Our former coach asked, "What's the minimum here?" One of the coaches answered, "The NCAA minimum." The kid in question was not an inner city or minority student. He did not graduate from Vanderbilt.

About 15 years ago, a Duke recruit's dad held a press conference to announce his son had "passed" his SATs and would be attending Duke. By "passing", the dad meant he had scored the NCAA minimum. The kid went to Duke and graduated.

Our assistants report Stanford and the Ivy League have standards comparable to Davidson. 16 years ago, a recruit who was rejected by Davidson was signed by William & Mary and graduated on time in Business or Accounting and earned all academic recognition.

dorp

Post by dorp » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:49 pm

Isn't the scholarship math different now?

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:55 pm

citycat wrote:One of our assistant coaches left to become an assistant at Vanderbilt. He was assigned to monitor the academic progress and test scores of one of their recruits. The recruit was taking the ACT. When the assistant coach received the kid's score, he was worried. It was way below what Davidson needed to see from a recruit.

At a coaches' meeting they asked the coach what the kid's score was. The assistant told them. The head coach and other assistants were happy. Our former coach asked, "What's the minimum here?" One of the coaches answered, "The NCAA minimum." The kid in question was not an inner city or minority student. He did not graduate from Vanderbilt.

About 15 years ago, a Duke recruit's dad held a press conference to announce his son had "passed" his SATs and would be attending Duke. By "passing", the dad meant he had scored the NCAA minimum. The kid went to Duke and graduated.

Our assistants report Stanford and the Ivy League have standards comparable to Davidson. 16 years ago, a recruit who was rejected by Davidson was signed by William & Mary and graduated on time in Business or Accounting and earned all academic recognition.
Good so when Harvad finalizes a top 20 recruiting class this year, we should point to that result as an example for why Davidson can also achieve a top recruiting class.

El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:05 pm

citycat wrote:One of our assistant coaches left to become an assistant at Vanderbilt. He was assigned to monitor the academic progress and test scores of one of their recruits. The recruit was taking the ACT. When the assistant coach received the kid's score, he was worried. It was way below what Davidson needed to see from a recruit.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:33 pm

El Gato Bizco wrote:

When I reid about recruiting here, I mark down names in a notebook sitting on my ham radio.

El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:39 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
El Gato Bizco wrote:

When I reid about recruiting here, I mark down names in a notebook sitting on my ham radio.
I might be slow, but I catch your drift and appreciate the head's up.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:19 pm

My point is that some fine schools accept kids who meet the NCAA minimums. That is more common now that many top recruits only stay in college one year. They aren't there long enough to flunk out.

The point about the W&M graduate is that our admissions staff screwed up. That young man would have graduated from Davidson and would have helped us on the court.

El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:43 pm

citycat wrote:My point is that some fine schools accept kids who meet the NCAA minimums. That is more common now that many top recruits only stay in college one year. They aren't there long enough to flunk out.

The point about the W&M graduate is that our admissions staff screwed up. That young man would have graduated from Davidson and would have helped us on the court.
This is what I thought but wanted to be sure.

stan

Post by stan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:04 pm

Some schools with stellar academic reputations admit athletes (and others) who have no possible chance to handle the normal academic work. They are placed in whatever academic ghettos the school has set up for such cases. They will graduate. The schools will break their arms patting themselves on the back for said graduations.

This is the opposite of academic integrity.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:10 pm

Reminds me of my C+ in World Music. Damn didgeridoo.

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:44 pm

mccabemi wrote:Reminds me of my C+ in World Music. Damn didgeridoo.

I guess you're damned didgeridoo or damned didgeridont.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Wildcat92 wrote:
mccabemi wrote:Reminds me of my C+ in World Music. Damn didgeridoo.

I guess you're damned didgeridoo or damned didgeridont.
:lol:
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

TOK

Post by TOK » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:48 pm

El Gato Bizco wrote:
citycat wrote:My point is that some fine schools accept kids who meet the NCAA minimums. That is more common now that many top recruits only stay in college one year. They aren't there long enough to flunk out.

This is what I thought but wanted to be sure.
The other thing we all need to remember is that SAT scores and high school grades never tell the entire story for anyone. I met lots of kids with better high school grades and SAT scores than me in college who just couldn't make themselves do the work once they got to college. Admissions is still part art and I think that there isn't a problem with giving preference to anyone who has exhibited special talents, whether they be athletic, music, writing or whatever. Excelling in one area can be indicative of the potential to excel in other areas.

When I was a W&M everyone knew that the average football or basketball player didn't have the same academic credentials as the rest of the student body, but they were still pretty smart and most did well in school. Other than PE, kinesthesiology, there weren't many majors to hide in at W&M.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:13 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

TOK

Post by TOK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:41 pm

This is hilarious!

Got to stop that fraternizing with God.