Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
Prophet

Post by Prophet » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:37 pm

"Delenda est"? How about "Amor omnia vincit"?
"The Zone has been around as long as sports themselves, but the Curry Zone is bigger, hotter and more enduring than any before."
- SI/Lee Jenkins

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:40 pm

omnis divisa

I probably mentioned this here before, so if I did, here it is again.

Several of us were hanging around in my room during our sophomore year, and somebody asked what was the most useful course we took in high school. Latin was a general consensus. I shudder to think how much worse my spelling would be if I hadn't taken it. Back then the SAT was still a fresh memory for us, and we could have had a sense of how much Latin had helped us with the vocabulary component of our verbal score.

On the negative side, as someone who went to school long enough to be exposed to study of several languages, it bugs me when I can't figure out the etymology of words right off.

Oh, and that brings to mind the obvious help that Latin was to the study of further languages.

Jersey: My second place useful HS course would have been typing. I did not foresee how much I would now use it every day.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Prophet wrote:"Delenda est"? How about "Amor omnia vincit"?
The latter seems harder and harder to believe in this delenda est age.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:54 am

When WP was in the midst of the college application process, my wife and I took him to the McNab Alumni Legacy weekend (a truly valuable program). During a Q&A session with Admissions personnel from several liberal arts schools, a parent asked if Davidson has a preference for what language appears on the high school transcript. Bill Lawing, who was chairman of the Faculty Committee on Admissions at that time, unhesitatingly replied, to the shock of almost all of the students in attendance, "We like to see Latin." WP had taken Latin in high school only because we made him, so he got an elbow in each side after Bill's reply.

As to typing, that is the one course that I greatly regret not taking. Since the advent of electronic health records and computerized physician order entry, my lack of typing skills has added about 30-60 minutes to each work day. I dictate my notes using Dragon, and the results are frequently amusing.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

71cat

Post by 71cat » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:25 pm

I am with you DC69. I, too, use Dragon and wish every day that I could type like everyone else. Who would've thought 50 years ago that typing would be a onecessary skill? I got kicked out of typing class for passing a note to girl, which is in my top three regrets involving women.
"That little sucker can shoot, man!"
Driesell, C. "Lefty" (1931-)

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:36 pm

71cat wrote:I am with you DC69. I, too, use Dragon and wish every day that I could type like everyone else. Who would've thought 50 years ago that typing would be a onecessary skill? I got kicked out of typing class for passing a note to girl, which is in my top three regrets involving women.
Old dogs can learn new tricks...
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

71cat

Post by 71cat » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:05 pm

I am way too far down the road to learn new tricks when it comes to women, if that's what you mean.
"That little sucker can shoot, man!"
Driesell, C. "Lefty" (1931-)

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:00 pm

Can anyone read this article on Luke Frampton's recruitment?:

https://marshall.rivals.com/news/marsha ... ll-product

From the article's title, I take it that he is seriously considering Marshall (which is close to home and is where his older brother is a preferred walk-on and which has been heavily recruiting him for a long time).

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:08 pm

New Rip Economou highlights: http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_arti ... s-classic-

Also curious about what that Frampton article says.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Walter Whyte cut his list to 12 schools and, no surprise, we made the cut.

For the full list, click here: https://twitter.com/_walt35_/status/760244589261381632

Hopefully he makes a final decision in the near future.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Unc keeps getting commits from 17 and 18 guards. Platek decommit?

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:17 am

I find Whyte's list to be encouraging. There are no P5 schools on it. There are many good choices for basketball. There are many good choices for academics. I hope he comes to the same conclusion we Kool-Aid drinkers have: DC offers the best combination of basketball and academics.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:33 am

catnhat wrote:I find Whyte's list to be encouraging. There are no P5 schools on it. There are many good choices for basketball. There are many good choices for academics. I hope he comes to the same conclusion we Kool-Aid drinkers have: DC offers the best combination of basketball and academics.
Yale is the school that worries me the most because of their recent success and the fact that he is from New Haven. But if he wants to play at a higher level than the Ivy League but still values his education (like his list suggests) I feel like we're in a good spot.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:14 am

A10 Talk published a post regarding Walter Whyte's final list, which includes five A10 schools.
All we know is that there’s almost a 42% chance that he ends up at a school in the A-10 Conference, and that’s pretty incredible.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:16 am

Acorn wrote:Can anyone read this article on Luke Frampton's recruitment?:

https://marshall.rivals.com/news/marsha ... ll-product

From the article's title, I take it that he is seriously considering Marshall (which is close to home and is where his older brother is a preferred walk-on and which has been heavily recruiting him for a long time).
Was anyone able to read this article? Care to share the gist?

Luke Frampton appears to be another great fit with the Davidson basketball program.