No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
loosha's lad

Post by loosha's lad » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 am

collegecoach8502 wrote:
loosha's lad wrote:A senior psychology major.
A senior biology major.
A junior that's not yet in the alumni database.

I'm really worried about the ripple effect here as these kids begin to divulge the extent of their operation, and how many of their customers reside on campus. Besides the super-obvious "drugs are bad" notion, there could be serious implications for those who receive federal financial aid.
I don't understand your financial aid statement ???

I don't know if there is a "drug problem" on campus any more than there might have been a problem in the '60's and '70's. However, rumor has it that a number of students use cocaine on a regular basis. This for me is of greater concern. Seems like these 3 students may have been a major part of the supply chain.
This is the closest I could come to finding supporting evidence:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defaul ... /fafsa.pdf
I may have just been too simple to have noticed it, but I was never aware of anything resembling a drug culture in my era (1988-92). The idea that something more serious than marijuana is a regular part of life on campus is indeed frightening.

dorp

Post by dorp » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:06 pm

loosha's lad wrote:Oh, boys... this is bad. Really bad.
http://davidsonnews.net/blog/2015/04/01 ... h-main-st/
Oh deer.
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/d ... dso/nkjY5/
The "Yick Yak" comments are amusing.
The Charlotte tv news stations were already around campus.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:38 pm

No security cameras on campus? I'm surprised by that.

gopher49

Post by gopher49 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:20 am

Will this push our "diversity and inclusiveness" rating through the roof?
Pi Rho Alpha-"Whatever It Takes"

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:27 am

We've been under-represented in guys and girls who like to do hilarious pranks with dead animals. We've had our fair share of folks who use drugs. We've been lacking in folks who distribute drugs and have weapons and large sums of cash.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildcat12546

Post by wildcat12546 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:02 am

gopher49 wrote:
Huh?

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:37 am

gopher49 wrote:
What exactly is this supposed to mean?
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:39 am

Wildcat92 wrote:
gopher49 wrote:
What exactly is this supposed to mean?
See i77's reply.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

gopher49

Post by gopher49 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:25 pm

obviously we have not been "under-represented" in the classification of "is sarcasm challenged." :lol:
Pi Rho Alpha-"Whatever It Takes"

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Ya gotta laugh, otherwise....

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:36 pm

wildcat12546 wrote:
gopher49 wrote:
Huh?
The 'Old Guy' still has it. :wink:

stan

Post by stan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:25 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
A senior biology major.

I'm really worried about the ripple effect here as these kids begin to divulge the extent of their operation, and how many of their customers reside on campus. Besides the super-obvious "drugs are bad" notion, there could be serious implications for those who receive federal financial aid.
Drug use bars federal fin aid.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

stan

Post by stan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:28 pm

http://www.popecenter.org/commentaries/ ... ml?id=3170
UNC officials were desperate to prevent the public from finding out anything more than the tiniest, least damaging scraps of information, but the truth got out and the scandal was instrumental in causing Chancellor Holden Thorp to resign.

A few people smelled a problem much deeper than just one player's questionable paper and wouldn't swallow the official "nothing to see here" line. Due to their persistence, we eventually learned a great deal that UNC officials wanted to keep secret, namely how terribly deceptive and fraudulent its "keep the players eligible" scheme was.

Two of those people were Mary Willingham, who had for years worked in UNC's Center for Student Success and Academic Counseling, trying to help students with academic weaknesses handle the work, and Professor Jay Smith, who has served in UNC's history department since 1990. Together, they have written a book about the whole affair, Cheated.

It's an insider book laced with just the right amount of indignation about the way the university has dealt with its star players—and also the way it tried to silence critics of its eligibility system. "The addiction to athletics, and to the revenues and alleged good will that they generate, has rendered good people mute in the face of abuses they know they should not tolerate," Willingham and Smith write.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

graveline

Post by graveline » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:27 pm

stan wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:
A senior biology major.

(puts on his lawyer hat)
drug use does not, a drug conviction does
simple possession of Marijuana is a class 3 misdemeanor, which means that with a clean record you are just looking at a small fine and court cost...I have represented a number of students who got popped with weed, paid a fine hoping it would go away quickly, and were shocked when their Papsa/Fafsa was yanked the following semester
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:49 pm

graveline wrote:
stan wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:
A senior biology major.

(puts on his lawyer hat)
drug use does not, a drug conviction does
simple possession of Marijuana is a class 3 misdemeanor, which means that with a clean record you are just looking at a small fine and court cost...I have represented a number of students who got popped with weed, paid a fine hoping it would go away quickly, and were shocked when their Papsa/Fafsa was yanked the following semester
Because, hey, nothing deters crime like rendering people nearly unemployable for being caught with weed in their backpack.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15