Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:05 am

Look it is what it is you want to criticize me go ahead- but every place or team we compete there are smart academically driven players and on the margin coin flips- just every once in awhile having a player who can help program should be given chance regardless of prior school or background. I just can see that player having a stricter lense relative to others because if he fails or isn’t successful academically it’s an issue. That’s all I mean. Here’s to Jairus Hamilton being our next acc transfer

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:14 am

No Prayer.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

BDF

Post by BDF » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:38 am

Just when I think I understand this board, I don’t. The Silas hints from insiders looked to me exactly like the JAG hints from two years ago. I was counting this chicken because I thought it had hatched. I thought the official birth announcements were still being printed.

As for why he chose, Northern Kentucky, maybe the kid who came to the states to get an engineering degree paid for by playing basketball was looking for a school with a few more engineering options.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:41 am

DCA06 wrote:Look it is what it is you want to criticize me go ahead- but every place or team we compete there are smart academically driven players and on the margin coin flips- just every once in awhile having a player who can help program should be given chance regardless of prior school or background. I just can see that player having a stricter lense relative to others because if he fails or isn’t successful academically it’s an issue. That’s all I mean. Here’s to Jairus Hamilton being our next acc transfer
CYA - you assumed he didn't make the academic hurdle. Nothing on this messageboard nor anywhere else suggests he even applied or put his academic record on file for Davidson admissions to form an opinion. Even if he did, nothing has been reported or mentioned by our staff that he would not be admitted, thus justifying your comments that he wouldn't meet our admissions requirements or that we need to admit more "freebies". For that matter, you have no knowledge that the admissions department doesn't allow for a "freebie" or two a year.

As previously mentioned, your comments can have negative effects on our recruiting efforts and you need to refrain from comments in the future.

I would hate to think you will be stuck sitting in your northeast office only reading financial market messageboards.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

BDL

Post by BDL » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:43 pm

DCA06 wrote: just every once in awhile having a player who can help program should be given chance regardless of prior school or background.
About your greater point, I don't think anyone disagrees entirely with this. However, I would be strongly against decreasing admission standards for athletes from where they're now. Part of what makes davidson stand out from the rest of the mid major pack is our academics. I have had classes with multiple basketball players, including PA and they're all really smart. I take pride (and I know others do as well) knowing our players are actual STUDENT athletes and do it the right way.

However, if we identify a kid who we think can help the team but lacks the scores/grades it wouldn't hurt to take a chance if everyone is willing to go the extra mile to ensure he graduates.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Our average SAT score is not a minimum score to expect success. Many kids who don't get in would be successful at DC. We already give preference to underrepresented groups and men. The ones who benefit directly from these preferences seem to do as well as the rest of the student body.

Admissions and our coaches should have a good idea what it takes to succeed at DC. If a kid has something special to offer we should consider admitting him- even if below our average test scores etc., so long as he has what it takes to succeed.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:21 pm

DCA06 wrote: just every once in awhile having a player who can help program should be given chance regardless of prior school or background.
Substitute "applicant" for "player" and "community" for "program," and the admissions committee does this every day, not just for outstanding athletes, but also for outstanding writers, musicians, artists, leaders, community servants, and on and on. Conversely, there are many applicants with impeccable academic records from stellar schools who don't make the cut simply because they don't have anything that sets them apart from all of the other kids with 4.5 GPAs.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

stan

Post by stan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Speaking of NKy, Isaiah Sulack is the son of a friend of mine who is getting recruiting interest from them. He played point guard for Dickey Simpkins' AAU team that won the national AAU title for 18s. He is playing prep ball this year at Belief Prep in Athens, TN. He's still growing at 6-4 and really skinny at about 170.

Kid can shoot. Hit 7 threes in a row in a game last month. His dad said that the number of schools expressing interest is really picking up. Adding new ones every day. His grandfather coached in college. Won a national championship in D III.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Substitute "applicant" for "player" and "community" for "program," and the admissions committee does this every day, not just for outstanding athletes, but also for outstanding writers, musicians, artists, leaders, community servants, and on and on. Conversely, there are many applicants with impeccable academic records from stellar schools who don't make the cut simply because they don't have anything that sets them apart from all of the other kids with 4.5 GPAs.
And this is a big part of what makes Davidson such an incredible place.
she/hers

El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:47 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
DCA06 wrote:Look it is what it is you want to criticize me go ahead- but every place or team we compete there are smart academically driven players and on the margin coin flips- just every once in awhile having a player who can help program should be given chance regardless of prior school or background. I just can see that player having a stricter lense relative to others because if he fails or isn’t successful academically it’s an issue. That’s all I mean. Here’s to Jairus Hamilton being our next acc transfer
CYA - you assumed he didn't make the academic hurdle. Nothing on this messageboard nor anywhere else suggests he even applied or put his academic record on file for Davidson admissions to form an opinion. Even if he did, nothing has been reported or mentioned by our staff that he would not be admitted, thus justifying your comments that he wouldn't meet our admissions requirements or that we need to admit more "freebies". For that matter, you have no knowledge that the admissions department doesn't allow for a "freebie" or two a year.

As previously mentioned, your comments can have negative effects on our recruiting efforts and you need to refrain from comments in the future.

I would hate to think you will be stuck sitting in your northeast office only reading financial market messageboards.
BDF wrote: “As for why he chose, Northern Kentucky, maybe the kid who came to the states to get an engineering degree paid for by playing basketball was looking for a school with a few more engineering options.”

After reading the young man’s background story, it seemed to me that a liberal arts college might not be his best option..

For those with the resources a four-year degree is but stepping stone to graduate school and SA may not have that option. Although I’m disappointed, I’d like to think he made a good choice.

BDL, CatnHat & DC69Wildcat have all said much the same thing but I need to publish rather than perish, besides my local liquor store does not open for another 15 minutes.

While I agree that DCA06’s initial assumption could be perceived as throwing shade, his subsequent comments clarify that it was his intent to speak of the general rather than specific. There have probably been times when potential recruits were lost to academics, but I’ll wager more times than not, it’s for other reasons.

There is much chatter that we set a high bar for our student athletes. I’m not familiar with the standards that have been set and can’t speak intelligently about them. I do believe that in general the school considers particular talents and intangibles along with GPA average and SAT scores. Otherwise, we would be front loaded with geniuses. This board provides ample evidence to the contrary.

Seems that DCA06’s is only speculating to a difference in degree and not kind and this is not grounds for excommunication.

Or was it reference to Jarius Hamilton?

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 pm

El Gato Bizco wrote: I do believe that in general the school considers particular talents and intangibles along with GPA average and SAT scores. Otherwise, we would be front loaded with geniuses. This board provides ample evidence to the contrary.
"I am wounded but not slain. I will just lie here and bleed a while then I'll rise to fight again."
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

graveline

Post by graveline » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Assuming someone didn't choose Davidson because they is like assuming a poster is down with a case of VD just because they havnt posted in a while.
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Do you think that's what happened to BorisMenoFanClub?
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:32 pm

No I’m not trying to muddy any situation. Frankly just get disappointed I didn’t know who this guy was until other people inferred he was going to come here and then he signs with NKU that just seems off. For starters anyone who had non public info shouldn’t be sharing on this board. Two my view is just he either felt he couldn’t succeed here or the admissions felt that way. It’s a logical assumption and fair . Bc we have plenty of playing time available. I could be wrong. But I’m just giving an opinion that is sometimes yes out of frustration because out of need we could use a great player like that. Also selfishly I think we could be a Gonzaga like team in A10 one day but it comes down to more resources invested - and I also know it then is a matter of a recruit wanting to go to Davidson. But who wouldn’t want to come here? That’s what I say . And jairus he’s like the local boy next door smart enough to play here and be a catalyst to get our program another evolution up. Always strive to thrive

El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
El Gato Bizco wrote: I do believe that in general the school considers particular talents and intangibles along with GPA average and SAT scores. Otherwise, we would be front loaded with geniuses. This board provides ample evidence to the contrary.
"I am wounded but not slain. I will just lie here and bleed a while then I'll rise to fight again."
Touche my good Doctor, are you by chance a seafaring man?

I no longer chose to fight. It's much easier to throw a cheap shot now and again and then disappear in the mist.