Portal

2018 A10 Champions!
Cat Forever

Re: Portal

Post by Cat Forever » Tue May 14, 2024 12:10 pm

Acorn wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:09 pm
Namath was offered big bucks and cars to play football at some universities. His older brother asked him if he wanted to "play with cheaters". He said no. The Bear offered him no money or cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUhXScqQto
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

graveline

Post by graveline » Tue May 14, 2024 12:32 pm

“Now, i still get to sleep with every woman on campus, right?”
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue May 14, 2024 1:05 pm

I’m pretty sure Namath’s taking money or gifts to play college football would have violated the rules of his era. Osobor, like Namath, is not breaking the rules. But Namath’s choices regarding how he celebrated and spent his hard-earned (NFL) dollars struck me as similarly “obscene,” if that’s the term we’re using.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Tue May 14, 2024 1:43 pm

graveline wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:32 pm
“Now, i still get to sleep with every woman on campus, right?”
Namath never met or spoke to Bryant before going to Alabama during recruitment. Bryant's offensive coordinator, Howard Schnellenberger, went to Beaver Falls and met with Namath's mother (a la Lefty). When Namath got home from school he met Schnellenberger. His mother then packed a suitcase and gave Joe $5 and told Schnellenberger to "take him" ... "You're going to Alabama son."
see around 1:49 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So96wHArwVA

I don't believe Joe Namath ever needed any promises regarding getting dates with pretty girls ...
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue May 14, 2024 3:21 pm

Namath was going to Maryland, but could not make an 800 on his SATs, which was a requirement to accept an athletic scholarship and play varsity sports at an ACC school at the time.

When it was clear Joe was not going to be admitted at Maryland, the coaches there contacted Alabama. Maryland did not want him attending a school they might have to play during Joe's varsity career.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Tue May 14, 2024 3:29 pm

Smart. U of Maryland, that is. Namath, maybe not so much...?

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Tue May 14, 2024 3:48 pm

I took my car in for an oil change last week and sitting in the waiting room, I thumbed through Keith Jackson's coffee table book, which said the Ohio State coach wanted to keep Namath out of the Big Ten and he didn't want him for OSU because theirs was a ground game and he wasn't taking Namath no matter what, so he called up Bear Bryant and told him to recruit Namath. Truth or fiction?

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Tue May 14, 2024 4:36 pm

JCDC wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:48 pm
I took my car in for an oil change last week and sitting in the waiting room, I thumbed through Keith Jackson's coffee table book, which said the Ohio State coach wanted to keep Namath out of the Big Ten and he didn't want him for OSU because theirs was a ground game and he wasn't taking Namath no matter what, so he called up Bear Bryant and told him to recruit Namath. Truth or fiction?
Sounds like fiction, Namath excelled as a runner until injured his junior year at Alabama. It could have been about grades. Namath was ready to sign a baseball contract, but his mother wanted him to receive an education. Joe was either on the athletic field or pool hall growing up, not much of a student.
He also had basketball scholarship offers also.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue May 14, 2024 5:02 pm

Gotta love the twists and turns of off-season threads!
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue May 14, 2024 5:04 pm

catseye wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:37 am
I'll admit to spending way too much time trolling around here for portal news.
Same. Tomorrow is the day that wftc says we add a starter.
On the ladies' side, I keep looking for confirmation about the player Cowie mentioned. If it is player I think it is, she's a huge addition for us. Love her videos.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Tue May 14, 2024 7:16 pm

The Belk Report on Twitter/X reporting that Colgate portal guard Braeden Smith, who we have apparently been pursuing, is leaning toward Gonzaga. Can’t say I’m surprised. He’s from Washington state.
Esse Quam Videri

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue May 14, 2024 11:21 pm

Gonzaga's past, present, and future are all much brighter than ours. Easy choice. Unless he wants a lot of playing time.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed May 15, 2024 7:09 am

wildforthecats wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:56 pm
My thoughts:

5/15
Laput
Connor
Bailey
Logan
https://youtu.be/mzAfTmC3It0?si=ElH3LJyMEVDRJVxT

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Wed May 15, 2024 10:55 am

Acorn wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:09 am
wildforthecats wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:56 pm
My thoughts:

5/15
Laput
Connor
Bailey
Logan
https://youtu.be/mzAfTmC3It0?si=ElH3LJyMEVDRJVxT
Durkin!
This is still going to be a very good team. Adam in the mix also.
Not an insider, but would be interested as to why Spadone and Brizzi left. Perhaps they thought Huffman was coming back and they wanted more minutes at pg.

Jay Catsby

Post by Jay Catsby » Wed May 15, 2024 12:59 pm

No inside info but my educated guesses on Spadone and Brizzi are:

Spadone - wanted more playing time and will get it in Patriot League

Brizzi - never really bought into TCC and Davidson more generally. He can “be the guy” at Longwood. To “be the guy” at Davidson you have to want your teammates to be the guy.
He’ll probably play more minutes, make as much/more in NIL, and have to do less schoolwork.

Can’t fault either player for going after those things if it’s what they want.